Premed 101 Forums

Am I considered a state resident?

I was born in Houston, Texas and lived there till I was half a year old. However, during that time I obtained my US citizenship. I then moved to Canada where I've been since.

So is being born in the state sufficient to gain "state residency"? I'm kinda skeptical about this because I knew a fellow Texan who had to return to Texas for grade 12 to get the "state price" for his undergrad college tuition. If I don't qualify as a state resident, would a year of undergrad in Texas give me that status? Haven't searched yet for a greencard, but what would a greencard do for me?

Thanks for any input!

Since you have a US citizenship there is no need to obtain a greencard. To be considered as a Texas resident, you need to live in Texas for at least 12 months . If you get in straight from Canada you have to pay OOS tuition but I think you can claim residency after a year as long as you meet the Texas residency requirements.

Thanks for the response.

So to confirm then, I get that I would pay the OOS price, but would I have to be considered as an OOS applicant for only the few OOS spots? (If I don't plan on living a year in Texas previous to when I apply.)

And then after I do a year of med school there, I gain residency and start paying the state resident price?

Thanks.

Thanks for the response.

So to confirm then, I get that I would pay the OOS price, but would I have to be considered as an OOS applicant for only the few OOS spots? (If I don't plan on living a year in Texas previous to when I apply.)

And then after I do a year of med school there, I gain residency and start paying the state resident price?

Thanks.

Yes, if you don't live in Texas for at least 12 months prior to matriculation then you are considered an OOS applicant. After a year in med school I think you can claim residency and pay state resident tuition but some states don't do this so you should double check Texas residency requirements. Still, Texas tuition is low for both in-state and OOS students.

Archived