Premed 101 Forums

Hello -

I discovered a horrible truth here in New Zealand (NZ). I am in the process of completing my first degree at 30+ (a BSc). My professor said that I will not be allowed into a masters or postgraduate education after completion of the degree because of being a late-starter. Seems unjust.

Yes, I do wish to become a doctor in Canada and I have approached universities in Canada about acceptance of foreign degrees.

However, my question is : Does being a late starter in academic education hinder prospect of (a) getting into masters or (B) getting into medical school in Canada as it is in NZ?

During my grad school I knew other grad students who were in there 50's. Age is definitely not an issue in canada for ecology type projects. Maybe it is different for medical research? Hell by the time we are 65 retirement age will have been pushed back to 70 so starting late is not as big a deal.

I did medical-related research in Edmonton and there were many people over 30. Age is not an issue for grad school...you just need to meet the GPA requirements which are pretty light. As for medical school, the oldest student in my class is 42 and previously there have been people in their late 40s. So I would say age is not a major issue.

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

So why did they even let you do your BSc!

Are you sure that this is not just the opinion of one prof that is not representative of the faculty?

This surprises me to hear. I found grad school to have some of the most interesting and varied people.

If you have a proven ability for research you shouldn`t be rejected from grad school....at least not anywhere else in the world, and I would double check actual policies in NZ. The key to grad school is getting a supervisor to take you. And as far as I can remember there are no age restrictions for major scholarships (I don`t know cause it wouldn`t have applied to me in grad school, so I wouldn`t have paid attention). If you secure your own funding (say NSERC or equivalent somewhere) you will have your pick of supervisors who will take you on as a student because it won`t even cost them anything to have you.

Hello -

I discovered a horrible truth here in New Zealand (NZ). I am in the process of completing my first degree at 30+ (a BSc). My professor said that I will not be allowed into a masters or postgraduate education after completion of the degree because of being a late-starter. Seems unjust.

Yes, I do wish to become a doctor in Canada and I have approached universities in Canada about acceptance of foreign degrees.

However, my question is : Does being a late starter in academic education hinder prospect of (a) getting into masters or (B) getting into medical school in Canada as it is in NZ?

So why did they even let you do your BSc! Are you sure that this is not just the opinion of one prof that is not representative of the faculty?

Good point. I will research it further (if I'm allowed). I cannot let one person thwart my hopes. However, if it is true then I will try applying through Canadian Universities instead.

So why did they even let you do your BSc!

Are you sure that this is not just the opinion of one prof that is not representative of the faculty?

This surprises me to hear. I found grad school to have some of the most interesting and varied people.

If you have a proven ability for research you shouldn`t be rejected from grad school....at least not anywhere else in the world, and I would double check actual policies in NZ. The key to grad school is getting a supervisor to take you. And as far as I can remember there are no age restrictions for major scholarships (I don`t know cause it wouldn`t have applied to me in grad school, so I wouldn`t have paid attention). If you secure your own funding (say NSERC or equivalent somewhere) you will have your pick of supervisors who will take you on as a student because it won`t even cost them anything to have you.

One other thing I did not mention earlier. I did approach a careers advisor, at the university and he asked my why am I starting now on the road to

completing a BSc degree and medical school, if it was my childhood dream?

My response: At the time, IT was beginning to boom and it seemed the chosen path for me then, to follow the flock of sheep. However, times change and I decided why not pursue a new direction in medicine. I know where I want to go, what I need to do and that there are many people wanting to become doctors at a later stage in life. Additionally, the advance in technology makes learning is more fun and their are many resources at your fingertips. But above all this, this is what I love now and I love me for making this decision, to follow my heart.

My family and friends laugh at me here in NZ because it is considered outside the norm to them (being 38 and going back to school). Whereas, my canadian and american friends say 'good for you'.

This forum is my best cyberspace friend :)

Good luck to you all.

Life experiences are highly valued here and in the US because it makes you unique. We're not a conformist society and we do not expect people to fit into a certain category, as such there're no typical med student or grad student. The age range in my class is 18-41 and when I was in graduate school, one of my fellow colleague was 35.

But do try to get an immigrant status as med schools here mostly take Canadians only.

Life experiences are highly valued here and in the US because it makes you unique. We're not a conformist society and we do not expect people to fit into a certain category, as such there're no typical med student or grad student. The age range in my class is 18-41 and when I was in graduate school, one of my fellow colleague was 35.

But do try to get an immigrant status as med schools here mostly take Canadians only.

Forgot to mention, I hold dual citizenship (NZ and Canada).

Archived