Premed 101 Forums

?s about PGY-1 in Pathology

Buffy Pool and any other Path residents maybe you can answer some questions for me...

I am hoping to end up in a Pathology residency next year and have some questions about what the R-1 year is like.

I am finding clerkship hard because I haven't been passionate about any specialty and get no exposure to pathology. Obviously I am eager to get started in pathology but have to do the R1 internship year first.

What is that year like? Is it like repeating clerkship again? Is it hard because you aren't doing what you want? Are there activities to keep R1s connected with the department?

Also, I am wondering what it is like being an off-service resident all the time. Do you get written-off because you are a path resident? Are you ever the only junior resident on a team? Do you ever take call by yourself?

Any info about what the R1 year is like would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks BuffyPool!

I guess I kinda of knew the answer to my own questions but I wanted to hear them from someone who has actually been through it. I am reassured that if I end up in pathology I will survive my R1 year as long as I keep a good attitude :)

Archived