Premed 101 Forums

Around how much time per week do Schulich students spend in small groups? My student guides at the interview weekend said that 4 mornings a week are spent in lecture and 1 in problem-based learning, 1 afternoon in community health lecture, 1 afternoon that sounded a little like "professional competencies" at Mac (the PCCIA stuff) in small groups, and 1 on clinical methods in small groups. But here no one's mentioned any case-based learning (unless PCCIA is actually problem-based, but it didn't sound like it) and old posts seem to say they pretty much just teach by lecture. Could anyone clarify? If they do have small group PBL, how big are the groups? Thanks very much!

It really does depend on the block that is being taught.

We usually have at least one pediatric small group session per block in which we apply the concepts we have learned about adults to the pediatric population and see the similarities and differences. They usually give about 3 cases for 2 hours and the group size is usually about 10-20 people.

Some blocks are quite organized in which there is a theme to the week. This is most prominent in the cardio block and there is usually a small group that meets once a week to discuss cases so that you can apply your learning.

There are also pathology small groups interspersed in the curriculum when necessary.

As I said, it varies and some blocks have limited small group sessions (maybe once the whole block).

Hope that helps

J

Those in pre-clerkship can correct me if I am wrong, but when I did years 1-2, the PCCIA equivalent was primarily PBL-based. However, it was up to the group to figure out what they wanted to pursue on that week's case and the focus was usually on what wasn't taught in lecture. Are there still cases of the week?

Archived