Premed 101 Forums

Picking University Courses

phorun

Hi I'm new to this forum, and I've searched for a bit but haven't really found an answer. Are there any courses I should take to prepare for the MCAT that are especially important, or is it basically buy the books and study? Also are there any undergrad courses that really help to have once in Med school?

it may help to do the courses that relate to subjects on the MCAT:

1) physics (MCAT physics is at a highschool level, not university)

2) chemistry

3) organic chemistry

4) biology/physiology

a lot of people in my class found that med school would've gone smoother with a physiology and biochemistry background - it always seems to be what gets people with no experience in it. however, you learn everything you're supposed to know in medical school anyway...

It won't really matter once you get there because you have to relearn the material anyway and they have to teach it as if it was new.

I specialized in Genetics, you get a lot of Phys/Biochem students, micro, general bio, chemistry, physics, english, art, the odd music student etc.

My advice would be to take courses that YOU are interested in and don't worry about Med School until you get in. Working hard to get a good mark in something you hate sucks. Take stuff that you actually enjoy as anything beyond the direct requirement type courses it doesn't really matter.

I can see where some of the physiology courses would help and I definitely enjoyed taking a few of them but even then, it really depends on where you go too.

It won't really matter once you get there because you have to relearn the material anyway and they have to teach it as if it was new.

I specialized in Genetics, you get a lot of Phys/Biochem students, micro, general bio, chemistry, physics, english, art, the odd music student etc.

My advice would be to take courses that YOU are interested in and don't worry about Med School until you get in. Working hard to get a good mark in something you hate sucks. Take stuff that you actually enjoy as anything beyond the direct requirement type courses it doesn't really matter.

I can see where some of the physiology courses would help and I definitely enjoyed taking a few of them but even then, it really depends on where you go too.

I disagree. Getting into medical school is very competitive and the people that get in are those who have planned for it. Taking a back seat attitude about med school will not get you in. Take the courses that will give you the best chances of getting in. So in terms of writing an MCAT you should take at bare minimum:

General Chem

General Bio

Organic Chem

General Physics

I wouldn't write the exam at least until after 3rd year. I know a lot of people say write it after 2nd year but I found that my knowledge base wasn't large enough. Also by the end of 3rd year (hopefully) you will be better at writing MC exams.

I pretty much couldn't disagree more with the previous poster, just to provide a different perspective.

Well if you are using your undergrad degree as a stepping stone to get into medical school, you might as well take something that will prepare you for med school. no?

It's not so much that I disagree with, but everything else. I agree that you should take preparatory classes, you don't necessarily have to ALWAYS take the courses that give you "the best chances of getting in." I've gotten nothing but A+'s in econ classes I've taken, but I find them boring--I just need something to fullfill my arts options and econ is easy to me. If I wanted to "maximize my chances", I'd probably take nothing but econ, but I value my sanity too much to do that.

In addition, I think the MCAT is best taken after 2nd year. You will likely have all your prereqs by then and an intro course in physiology/anatomy/biochemistry (all of which I took in 2nd year) would really help in your studies. Moreso than this though, if you **** up your MCAT the first time (like several friends I know), and you write the MCAT in the summer after 3rd year, you're more or less committing yourself to another unnecessary year (unless you feel studying for the MCAT for a January test while taking a full year of 4th year courses is your idea of a fun/plausible idea).

These are just my opinions, of course.

Archived