Premed 101 Forums

LMCC Part I - % to pass?

Hey all,

I know basically everyone passes, but does anyone have a rough idea what % you need to pass the exam?

How do the online MCC demo questions compare to the real thing? What is a reasonable score on those?

LFTs

My understanding was that they failed the bottom 5%, which includes IMGs writing the exam. So, the % needed to pass changes slightly from year to year.

I wrote Wed and was surprised how many IMGs we had in Kingston. There were as many of them as us and I heard that in Toronto there were about 100 IMGs writing at a time. Trying not to be pejorative here, but I have also heard that generally it is language difficulties which account for most of those who are in that bottom 5%. Good luck on your exam.

The LMCC is a joke exam, the sole purpose of which seems to be to weed out foreign trained doctors who are not proficient in English.

Isn't there the TOEFL for that?

Isn't kind of a cash grab?

To the layperson, it sounds as if the LMCC is a valid licensing exam that ensures doctors are sufficiently trained in the ways of medicine.

In reality, the bar is set way too low. I'm pretty sure its because the govt doesn't want to foot the bill for additional training for those who fail it.

As I understand, this is a second exam for any IMG and it is easier that the first one, MCCEE. Foreign trained doctors have several obstacles to overcome to prepare for the exams: systems are different and so are the specific knowledge applications; language issues (how to practice clinical and scientific language if you are not allowed anywhere in the hospital/clinics/university system and volunteering is of a little help?); no way to listen to a life lecture neither to prepare with a guidance from a professional mentor - everything is on their own, according to their imagination, with no help or possibility to ask questions; add to these that many of them work to pay for it - there is no financial support or whatsoever.

s.

I too have also heard it is an exam that appears to be designed to fail the IMG who has a poor grasp of the English/French language.

I have also heard the 5% who fail are primarily IMGs. In response to the above poster, I'm not sure about the MCCEE exam, but I was told from a friend (albeit he is from Canada but studied overseas) that it was fairly straightforward.

Nevertheless there are also some CMGs who, for whatever reasons (and I'm told these are the people who barely scraped by in med school, i.e., no surprises), also fail. Man, that would suck - having to get orders co-signed as a resident until the next sitting. That said, I have never come across someone who has had to do this so I'm not sure how this is dealt with.

I originally asked the question re: % to pass because I just took a look at the online demo questions and some are pretty damn random.

• 2 weeks later...
I too have also heard it is an exam that appears to be designed to fail the IMG who has a poor grasp of the English/French language.

I have also heard the 5% who fail are primarily IMGs. In response to the above poster, I'm not sure about the MCCEE exam, but I was told from a friend (albeit he is from Canada but studied overseas) that it was fairly straightforward.

Nevertheless there are also some CMGs who, for whatever reasons (and I'm told these are the people who barely scraped by in med school, i.e., no surprises), also fail. Man, that would suck - having to get orders co-signed as a resident until the next sitting. That said, I have never come across someone who has had to do this so I'm not sure how this is dealt with.

I originally asked the question re: % to pass because I just took a look at the online demo questions and some are pretty damn random.

Hi!

Sorry for being off topic.

What I really meant to say is that I second your and others saying that the most examenee who fail are IMGs and there are only few CMGs among them. I was unable to find any official proof of the %ge failures but have also heard that this is around 5-7% every year. I am not aware if it's ever happened that everyone in the same pool passed the exam. I guess this is because the %number is based on the fact that the scoring is not about an individual's performance but rather a whole examenees pool's performance, therefore, the very left part of the bell-shaped scoring curve always represents those who fail the exam no matter what.

The more detailed description of the exam structure could be seen here (HIGHLY RECOMEDED TO READ):

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=121773

You see why? So, most of CMGs could feel safe - being inside the system obviously gives you this much needed chance to pass and "eliminates competitors" :)

GL.

• 1 month later...

Archived