Premed 101 Forums

OOP, cGPA - thoughts?

zzban

Hello,

Many of you might be tired of cGPA threads but as I have a specific question to ask and confirm, I decided to post a new thread; and I hope you could give me advises or share your opinions with me.

As you can see, I am an OOP student who completed two required science courses during summer session. I was focusing on more towards personal development than trying to do well on summer courses (as many Ontario Med schools do not even look at them...and yes I recently started considering McGill and noticed it looks at EVERYTHING). My GPAs during school years are close to 3.9 but my summer course marks are...well, I do not even want to comment on them. cGPA, however, meets the suggested cGPA by McGill.

If, let's say, I can convince McGill Admission committee why my grade dramatically dropped over the summer, do you think I would still have a chance cGPA-wise ?? (of course, I know that cGPA is only a portion of qualifications the committee is reviewing) Or would this hurt my chance from the fact that the summer courses are two of required science courses to apply?

Thank you for taking your time on reading this lengthy post, and I would appreciate any insights. I just want to know if I need to give up on McGill or not...yikes!

It honestly depends on what your application is like. If you have some stellar experiences on your CV, then you will not need as high a GPA. I would think most OOP are in the 3.9-4.0 range. I had one very bad mark during the school year, but it didn't hurt me overall.

It honestly depends on what your application is like. If you have some stellar experiences on your CV, then you will not need as high a GPA. I would think most OOP are in the 3.9-4.0 range. I had one very bad mark during the school year, but it didn't hurt me overall.

Totally agree.

Moreover, your bad mark is considered along with other marks (GPAs) and all together constitute only a 20% portion of the whole assessment of your application. If it is really-really bad you could mention it in your BIO and explain why. BUT! It would be wiser talking to a med adviser at McGill first - only him is the most reliable source of the first-hand info.

GL applying!

Archived