Premed 101 Forums

Carms stats - please help

Hi All,

I've been admitted to medical school at Toronto and Western for Fall 2008 Admission (I'm so pumped!). Problem is, I'm not entirely sure where to go (I'm from London, and wouldn't mind getting out of it for a while, but it IS my home).

The best way I can figure out which is the better school, is to figure out which school has the higher CaRMS matching success rate for its students. Does anyone know what this was for the last several years, or where I can find this information? (I checked the CaRMS website, and couldn't get anything useful). I know its early, but I have an undergraduate degree in Physics and another in Electrical Engineering, so I figure I'll end up in Radiology/Nuclear Medicine (if it helps to know that).

Also, does anyone know if I'd be discriminated against by having 3 degrees from the same University? (I.e. 2 undergraduate degrees + MD from Western).

Thanks a million guys!

e_is_hv

Hey there,

Congrats on your acceptances. I am not sure why match rate would be a key factor in your decision. Match rates usually are dictated by the class' decision to want competitive specialties, whether they have a geographical preference, etc moreso than on the quality of their education.

Because both schools have those programs, I would be more inclined to evaluate your options wrt curriculum, clerkship, city, etc.

I am not sure if you were able to find the 2008 CaRMS stats here: http://carms.ca/eng/operations_R1reports_08_e.shtml

Match rates for 1st choice rank list: http://carms.ca/pdfs/2008R1_MatchResults/22Match%20Results%20by%20First%20and%20Lower%20Ranked%20Program%20Choices%20by%20Medical%20School_en.pdf

Match rates for 1st choice discipline: http://carms.ca/pdfs/2008R1_MatchResults/13Canadian%20Graduates%20Match%20Results%20by%20Choice%20Discipline%20and%20Medical%20School_en.pdf

Good luck with your decisions.

Hey Blinknoodle,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. My reasoning was I wanted to see if, for example, do I have a much greater chance of getting the residency I want if I go to U of T? As to me, that's the end point of medical school anyways.

I'm just looking at the CaRMS stuff now and am a little confused. What does it mean by Medical School Quota? I also looked under the sections and didn't completely understand what I should be looking for (i.e. don't care about how many participated in CaRMs, I figure it's everyone).

Anyhelp you can offer would be great!

e_is_hv

e_is_hv,

If you're doing the MD/PhD program, you may want to look into research opportunities at both schools. Depending on what area of research you're interested in, one school may be stronger than the other. To me, this seems like a more reasonable way to choose a school than a 1% difference in CaRMS matching. I don't know much about CaRMS, but I'd bet you a beer that a kickass publication record in your desired field would mean more than the medical school you come from.

You are bang on, Laika. If you are interested in MD/PhD, usually research is more important than your medical degree.

EIH, quota on CaRMS usually means the number of spots at a university that can be filled (= number of residency spots). There is a lot of info on CaRMS, and most of it is plain useless.

Archived