Premed 101 Forums

Confuse about the 10 years exemption rule

I am having a hard time understanding the 10 years exemption rule of UBC. I did my first year undergrad back in 1997-1998 (oh gosh.. I am so old :( ) so if I were to use the 10 years rule to knock out my first year bio and chem, does that mean I have to retake them again? how will that affect how my prerequisite average is calculated? are they only going to use my biochem and organic chem marks then ? if I want to retake my prerequisites again (first year bio and chem) to increase my average, do I need to finish the course before the application deadline?

as far as i understand the rule from previous posts, if the ten year rule knocks out classes that are pre-reqs then you must retake them. Also be aware that if you invoke the ten year rule, then every class you took that year is not considered, not just the classes with bad marks.

another question

This is what ubc med says about the 10-year rule:

If grades or course work are waived, all course work of that year and prior will be excluded from consideration, and any prerequisites completed during the excluded period will not be considered. If you have completed higher-level courses in the same academic area as these prerequisites, and these courses are not used to meet other prerequisites, you may not need to repeat them.

Anyone have any experience applying the rule and using upper level courses to satisfy prereqs??

I used the 10yr rule last year. My first year marks were not included which included some of the pre-reqs. I did not repeat these courses. I put upper year courses that required these prereqs on my application. However, I'm not sure how they looked at my pre-reqs, but I got an interview, so somehow I still satisfied their pre-req requirements.

Archived