Premed 101 Forums

American school for undergrad

Hey guys, right now I am doing my undergrad in the US. I would ultimately like to come back to me home in BC and attend UBC. The question is, would this put me at a disadvantage? Would the treat me as a in province student? I was born and raised in BC and graduated high school there too. I hope this they do or I am basically screwed!

heya, unless I'm mistaken, there are different kinds of BC residencies. I believe there's one where you attended high school in BC (and you have to submit a high school transcript to prove this), which will make you eligible as an in-province candidate. I think the only thing you'll have to look into is how your US school's courses translates into the prereq's for UBC.

Hey guys, right now I am doing my undergrad in the US. I would ultimately like to come back to me home in BC and attend UBC. The question is, would this put me at a disadvantage? Would the treat me as a in province student? I was born and raised in BC and graduated high school there too. I hope this they do or I am basically screwed!

Make sure you collect detailed course outlines of the courses you intend to declare as prerequisites (week by week content of the course) and submit these documents to the admissions office. Based on the course outline, they will decide if your courses are equivalent. In most cases, there shouldn't be any problem - 1st yr and 2nd yr basic sciences are pretty much similar everywhere.

In some cases you might need to declare a couple courses as equivalent to a UBC prerequisite course (e.g., intro cell biology + organismal biology = UBC BIOL 121). Just make sure you submit the course outlines.

Make sure you collect detailed course outlines of the courses you intend to declare as prerequisites (week by week content of the course) and submit these documents to the admissions office. Based on the course outline, they will decide if your courses are equivalent. In most cases, there shouldn't be any problem - 1st yr and 2nd yr basic sciences are pretty much similar everywhere.

In some cases you might need to declare a couple courses as equivalent to a UBC prerequisite course (e.g., intro cell biology + organismal biology = UBC BIOL 121). Just make sure you submit the course outlines.

Wow sometimes you really need to declare two course for one at UBC? that seems a little absurd thats 8 course hours of work for only 4 at UBC? that seems kinda unfair

Wow sometimes you really need to declare two course for one at UBC? that seems a little absurd thats 8 course hours of work for only 4 at UBC? that seems kinda unfair

Yeah, they look at the content and try to make sure that your courses cover the same material as the prereqs.

Sometimes it works to your advantage - say, if a bunch of courses in your curriculum altogether makes up the content of a prerequisite course, then there is no need to take the direct equivalent of that course.

Archived