Premed 101 Forums

Switching majors

Hey all, I was just wondering if it is "frowned upon" for me to switch my major from General Biology to General Science, at the beginning of my third year at UBC? Its not because of academics; I want to switch because I want more freedom to choose my courses in areas that i'm interested in. However, i'm nervous because I don't want this to be seen by the medicine admissions team as a bad thing, or as a "cop-out" into an easier major. Will switching majors affect my chances!? Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!:)

Guest 02'topaz

To the best of my knowledge, nope! Don't quote me on this as I haven't experienced it personally, but I think the only thing appearing on the transcript would be the degree which you graduated with....*goes to look at final official transcript*...

Alright so here's what mine says...

At the very top there's a "UBC Credentials" section listing the following

Bachelor of Science

Major XXXXXXXXX

Average XX.X%

Granted May 17 2007

Then it has a section for transfer credits

Then it goes and breaks down each session beginning with the 03/04 winter session for me. The important part comes here I guess and answers your question. All it says is "Bachelor of Science (UBC Vancouver) Year 1"

So there you have it, doesn't specify the major within each year, only the degree type and faculty :).

Again you could confirm this with advising but honestly worst case scenario even if it did say it somewhere (which it won't), they won't discriminate against you! Focus on what your interests are, don't let these things determine what you will study for two more years!

Hope this helps

Archived