Premed 101 Forums

Criminal record and Medical School

I know a lot of people ask this question but I was not able to find the answer I was looking for. I am a 17 year old student in high school, I'll be going to Univeristy next year with a very serious youth criminal record (not drug related) and it will be removed at the start of 2015 (as by laws of Canada). If I were to enter med. school after 4 years of undergrad. 2015 would be my 2nd year in medical school.

My questions are...

Do they check for criminal records at the beginning or end of med. school?

Does anyone know how I can obtain extra-curricular activities or volunteer experience even with this record?

Are they able to deny me admission because of my youth record and can I appeal their decision?

If anyone knows specifics about Med. Schools in Ontario such as U of T or McMaster...that'd help.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

oooohhh tough question! Was your crime a crime of moral turpitude and or a crime mala in se (theft murder,rape). this will definitely impact your chances for getting into med school. Also, if you want to do research or volunteer in a hospital, they do perform a criminal record check. Medicine is a position of respect and trust, and as a result med schools and other institutions cannot take any chances. depending on your crime, you may be eligible to get a waiver that a lawyer will have to file for you, it needs to get signed by a law enforcement agency or probation/parole board. your crime cannot be a major crime like the ones listed above.

actually did a project for this back in high school for a law project.

I know a lot of people ask this question but I was not able to find the answer I was looking for. I am a 17 year old student in high school, I'll be going to Univeristy next year with a very serious youth criminal record (not drug related) and it will be removed at the start of 2015 (as by laws of Canada). If I were to enter med. school after 4 years of undergrad. 2015 would be my 2nd year in medical school.

Wait a minute.. 2015 is 7 years away. when u finish undergrad, you will be 21. in 2015 won't you be 25?

You will have to check with the current policies for medical schools.

When I started medical school, 4 years ago at UWO, I was not asked for a criminal record check for medical school admission. I had to do a few for away electives (UBC comes to mind) and again when I started residency for the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.

Right now, it looks like students at UWO need a criminal record check after they get admitted. Can't comment on other schools.

Right now, it looks like students at UWO need a criminal record check after they get admitted. Can't comment on other schools.

Mac also requires a criminal record check with a vulnerable sector screening - it is required to be submitted in early august, and they said anyone with a "not clear" status will have their file reviewed and they will determine what action will be taken. They also mention that those with a record should check with the licensing boards to find out whether they can get licensed or not after they graduate (a license is required to practice, beyond getting an MD).

Archived