Premed 101 Forums

July 8th MCAT

gogopogo

Eeeek. I've heard not so good things about that site. I got lucky and wrote at the Fort Garry Hotel and found it to be a good experience. Where you are writing might have older computers, poor ventilation, and loud MCAT administrators. :(

• 2 weeks later...

how's the studying coming along, fellow july 8th writers?

I"m feeling very very anxious as i haven't felt that I've hardcored the material enough...i just did the EK 1H and got an 8 in PS and a 9 in VR.

Any tips for last minute cramming?

Haha first tip, don't last minute cram....

but from the practice tests you do, see where your errors are coming from....

Do the AAMC practices if you can..... they tend to give you a good feel for the test.

I'm terrible at trying to review everything when I should be really focusing on a few things... but it's something that has to be done....

July 7th, wake up early, do something relaxing and get some good sleep that night...

July 8th, It's an observable trend that many MCAT's now a day look different than any practice test which scares test takers. However even if the material is tougher, you're still on a level playing field as it is tougher for everyone, and should do just as well as your practice tests if you stay calm and confident.

Sorry for jumping out of the scope of your question lol, I love to rant....

do a bunch of practice tests, identify where your errors are coming from and look that stuff over.

july 8th writer here as well! what's annoying is the fact that people say that whatever you score in practice AAMC will be slightly higher than your actual score...is that true???

hmmm i guess that could be a trend...when i think back, i scored both higher and lower on kaplan and aamc tests...theyre all graded according to difficulty and how other people did, so do tons of practice tests to figure out what kinds of scores you are capable of getting...

it could be that the stress on the day of the actual exam causes people to do less well than predicted by aamc tests? guess there are a lot of factors at play...stay calm and do your best!

Good luck!

Don't sweat it, the site can't be worse then the place I wrote at in Toronto...

The computer screen shut off on me spontaneously during both BS and VR.... Apparently there was a lose cable... :rolleyes:

Can't be as bad as my kaplan instructor's experience of writing it next to the window pane facing the hotel pool full of children playing in it :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, mind you elaborating why you found the verbal hard?

Also, is it true they took out the Roman numeral questions from verbal?

Was there many "What does the author mean by "echoes disaster" ?

Were passages longer or wordier or topics were all on art crticism/law/...

Please try to be a bit more descriptive as you are helping hundreds by few clicks of a button!

I'm a very slow reader, which is one of the main reason why verbal was so hard for me. Roman numerals? I don't quite remember...it's been a year. I'm re-writing it this year, so I'll suppose I find out. Oh, the writing samples were also very straightforward (actually the easiest part of the entire thing), they were mainly about politics though. Which was fun for me, cuz I read up on a lot of political stuff. Try not to mention Monica Lewinsky/Bill Clinton though, cuz that gets overused.

Archived