Premed 101 Forums

Letters of Reference

Guest soaring_eagle

Guest soaring_eagle

UBC requests letters of reference via e-mail, correct. However, do they also CALL these people? anyone know the procedure, cause one of my LOR does not have a phone.

Thanks

OH this is for applying for next year btw!

UBC requests letters of reference via e-mail, correct. However, do they also CALL these people? anyone know the procedure, cause one of my LOR does not have a phone.

Thanks

OH this is for applying for next year btw!

Yes, UBC requests LOR via e-mail, but you do have to provide a phone number because they randomly call up referees to check if they really wrote the letter. One of my references was checked this year, and I know some people who had >1 referees checked.

Guest soaring_eagle

Thank you. I will find someone else who DOES have a phone. The person without the phone lives in northern rural BC (where I've worked before) and has access to Intnet occassionaly...but no phone!!

too bad!

oh well

• 3 weeks later...

Admissions will sometimes call a referee if the letter they received is quite unbecoming of the applicant, to confirm that is what the referee meant to say.

Usually, the referee says, "yes, that's what I meant to say ... I don't think this person should be a doctor."

Don't pick one of those people as your referees.

Archived