Premed 101 Forums

grad school question

Hi all

i have a question for those that can help me answer.

I've just graduated and did not apply this year. I'll be starting grad school this fall and I'm planning to apply in the 2009 application cycle. I was wondering if UWO admissions will take into account grad productivity in their selection process or is it solely undergrad grades and MCAT cut-offs.

Thanks

thanks for the quick reply. but from what i gather, Queens and UoT are the schools that consider it?

Ottawa also has a grad student review policy, and Mac will give you an advantage if you've already completed your degree when you apply.

yeah I've read that on their admissions policy as well. I suppose that's the dilemma i'm in. I didn't want to regret doing something else for a year if i don't get admitted this application cycle. Ultimately if i'm not able to go into medicine, I'll want to do my PhD. Hence deciding that I'll sacrifice not applying until 2010.

hey dont want to discourage you from grad school, but UWO wont accept you until the masters or Phd is done ie. you must defend your thesis before you can start med school in London at least, so if you start a masters this fall you cant start at western until 2010

This is actually not quite accurate. I did a masters degree before coming to Western. The requirement was for me to have all my research and required course work done before entering medical school. I actually didn't defend my thesis until the following summer. What I had to do was get my thesis supervisor to sign a letter saying that all my coursework and research was complete. There really wasn't any hassle with this.

Toronto was a little trickier. They wanted me to have defended my thesis by the end of June prior to entering the class. As this was unrealistic for me, I had to withdraw my application. Ottawa was also tricky, they wouldn't look at the application because i was in the first year of my grad degree, and couldn't evaluate my courses (although my grad program only required one credit per semester so it wouldn't have been taken into consideration anyway).

As for UWO actually looking at your grad work... it doesn't happen. MCAT + GPA only. Where you will have an advantage is in the interview process. You will have more substance to your responses and will most likely sound a little bit more mature (I actually interviewed applicants this year, and it was quite apparent who the masters student was).

thanks for that. so would you say that i am able to apply this upcoming application cycle? I will be starting my first year of masters this september and it is supposed to be a 2 year program. Were you in the same situation as well?

I was a little bit further ahead than you. I started my masters in May. I would suggest that you talk to your thesis supervisor and make sure they are on board with your plan. If not it will be very difficult.

I would suggest that you talk to the programs you wish to apply to, and find out what their policies are. Some are very strict (Ottawa, Toronto) and others more relaxed (Queens and Western). You don't want to waste your money on an application that may get automatically rejected.

Archived