Premed 101 Forums

FM & OBGYN R3 training

• 4 weeks later...

Here is Ottawa I have seen FPs as first assist for c-sections...I am not sure they even have the +1 to be honest.

I have not seen them do them independently. However, in rural areas there would be the possibility of doing c-sections if you wanted....a classmate's preceptor did them during her rural fam med rotation.

You don't have to do extra training in OB in order to do deliveries. There are many family doctor call groups even in tertiary centres. Mount Sinai in Toronto which is the busiest L&D ward in the country has a large family doctor call group.

Basically it comes down to your comfort level. If you feel you got adequate training as a resident to do uncomplicated deliveries, then you don't have to do any extra training. Many schools offer 3 or 6 month long "R3s" in OB and I think most people intending to do OB opt for this.

For gyne, family docs can do D&C's, IUD insertions, endometrial biosies and probably some other procedures. Again it just depends on your training and comfort, but you can definitely seek out further training.

If you are in a very rural area without surgeons, then family docs also do surgical procedures and c-sections.

Archived