Premed 101 Forums

two years above cutoff with second undergrad

Hi all,

I opted not to do the 'special year' at the end of my degree and I just graduated with a BAH in geography.

I'm doing more undergrad next year at a different school to get pre-reqs, and to be able to write the MCAT as I did just about no science during my undergrad.

If I understand Westerns rules correctly, the two years with a 3.7 cannot be from different degrees. So I can't count my 4th year and then the first year that I'm doing at a different school starting in September.

So this means that if I get above a 3.7 this coming year, I can apply for admission in 2010 and could possibly get a conditional offer and then accepted if my second year of mark is also above the cutoff? (of course taking into account MCAT marks and all the other stuff). Does the fact that I would have only done two years of an undergrad program the second time around matter? Because I already have a degree.

I guess the question is: Can I do two years of a second undergrad and have a chance at Western without actually getting that second degree, and should I apply after the first year and hope for a conditional offer?

Thanks,

Steph

you're good!

I'm doing the same... did a 4 year degree in kin (meets honours degree requirement)

and am now doing a 2nd degree in rehab/health sci...

first year of my new degree was good! and will apply this september with the hopes of a conditional acceptance... I e-mailed the admissions offices to make sure....

here quoted from an e-mail i received

Good morning,

If your first degree is an honours degree you could apply in the second year of a new degree program. We would only use the GPA from the second degree.

Another option might be to do another year after you graduate - a 'special year'. Please see the website for more information about the special year ( http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/education/admissions ).

I hope this helps.

M Kennard

Admin Assistant

Is there a difference between a "special year" and doing a fifth year? In my case, I could not graduate this year (my fourth year) since there are still few courses I am missing and since I switched into a different major in my second year. So would the fact that I did not graduate yet make my fifth year seem like another undergrad year, or will it count as a "special year"??

I was trying to find the answer to this question on the admissions site but could not get a conclusive answer.

By the way, the reason that I am asking this is because I am plannig on taking a full year 2nd year general ed course next year which will mean that I will have 8/10 upper year courses and 2 seond year courses (because a full year course counts as 2 half year courses). If a fifth year counts as a sepcial year, then no lower level courses are allowed...

A special year is an extra year outside of your degree. So in your case, you will not be in a special year because you are still in the process of finishing your degree, and haven't graduated yet.

Is there a difference between a "special year" and doing a fifth year? In my case, I could not graduate this year (my fourth year) since there are still few courses I am missing and since I switched into a different major in my second year. So would the fact that I did not graduate yet make my fifth year seem like another undergrad year, or will it count as a "special year"??

I was trying to find the answer to this question on the admissions site but could not get a conclusive answer.

Queen's will take the average of the 4th year of your first degree, and the 1st year of your second degree. The two years do not have to be in the same degree, but they do have to be consecutive. So if you do well this year, you could have a decent chance at both Western and Queen's!

I'm glad I've got that figured out right!

Does anyone know if the same will apply for Queen's, since they will take students who's GPA is above the cuttoff with two years? Or do you need to be completed the two years?

Steph

• 5 weeks later...

Steph, you can only apply to UWO during the final year of your second undergraduate degree.

If you have three years remaining in your second undergrad to satisfy graduation requirements, you apply during the 3rd year.

Typically, people who do their second undergraduate degree have half the program requirements already fulfilled from their first undergraduate, so there are only two years remaining. In this case, they can apply during the second year (which is also the final year) of their second undergraduate degree after completing one year. Also, it is not the average of both years that must meet the GPA cutoff, rather, each of the two years must meet the cutoff. If you have 3.9 and 3.6, you're out of the pool, although the average of these two is 3.75 which is above the cutoff.

You should check out other schools' admissions before considering doing a second undergraduate degree, and when you know you really have to do another one, carefully plan out your second undergraduate degree. Your course selections, levels, and load status must satisfy the program requirements of your second undergraduate degree as well as the requirements set by various medical schools. What you want is a greater number of schools that you can apply to.

Hi all,

I opted not to do the 'special year' at the end of my degree and I just graduated with a BAH in geography.

I'm doing more undergrad next year at a different school to get pre-reqs, and to be able to write the MCAT as I did just about no science during my undergrad.

If I understand Westerns rules correctly, the two years with a 3.7 cannot be from different degrees. So I can't count my 4th year and then the first year that I'm doing at a different school starting in September.

So this means that if I get above a 3.7 this coming year, I can apply for admission in 2010 and could possibly get a conditional offer and then accepted if my second year of mark is also above the cutoff? (of course taking into account MCAT marks and all the other stuff). Does the fact that I would have only done two years of an undergrad program the second time around matter? Because I already have a degree.

I guess the question is: Can I do two years of a second undergrad and have a chance at Western without actually getting that second degree, and should I apply after the first year and hope for a conditional offer?

Thanks,

Steph

Archived