Premed 101 Forums

First Aid + BLS Courses

I haven't received my acceptance package from the UofA so I'm not sure if it is required/recommended to take a First Aid/BLS course, anyone know?

Grant Mac here in Edmonton has finally released their schedule for July and are offering a First Aid + BLS course for $145.

I'd be keen on taking it even if it's not recommended, as it's been a while since I did a CPR/First Aid course.

nope first aid and BLS aren't required before you start. if you want to save some money and are willing to wait you will be enrolled in the grant macewan first aid and BLS course for free during link block which happens right before you start your clerkship at the begining of third year.

yeah you should be alright if you don't get a recert right away. it is good to know some basic lifesaving especially since you will be having classes in the hospital...you never know when your having lunch in the cafeteria and someone starts choking.

haha it would be embarrasing if some one choked to death and you were sitting there with your medstudent ID card on...

At the start of 3rd year you'll take the BLS for HCP (Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider) - Level C as stated previously for free as a part of your Link Block. We did not however take the Standard First Aid course at the time so I can't comment on that.

My recommendation is that if you're even thinking about doing any shadowing in the ER during your first two years (which you should be), knowing CPR or BLS is a very good idea even if it's not required at that point. As medical students you'll have every opportunity to be involved in ER resuscitations - this is encouraged by both nursing staff and ER attendings. Therefore, I think the $95 is well worth it not just for this reason but also because knowing CPR is a good idea in general. You can still enroll in some courses this summer offered by the exact same people who will instruct you again during Link Block. Here are the details:

BASIC LIFE SUPPORT FOR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER - LEVEL C $95.00 GST (780) 497-5000 to register

Classes are 8:30am - 2:30pm BLSC-0004 July 2008-August 2008

July 12 Saturday(550)

July 26 Saturday(553)

August 9 Saturday(554)

August 23 Saturday(556)

Hope that helps!

Archived