Premed 101 Forums

60% at year level

How strict is Western in requiring 60% of your courses to be at year level? I recently changed my program, and so even though I'm going into my third year (out of five) I'd have to take 2 first year courses, and there is a second year course I want to take as a prerequisite for some other courses. However, that would leave only 40% of my course load at year level.

Would that screw me over? Also, because I changed majors I'm going to take almost entirely second/third year courses in my 4th and 5th year (basically every biology course my university offers). Would that be a problem, or are admissions understand of circumstances such as these?

Thank you in advance.

My program really has no distinction between the 300 and 400 level classes and none of the 300 were pre reqs to the 400 level. I explained this to them in September and they said it was fine. I was not asked about this ever again and I doubt that this case was starred. I believe what they mean is that in senior years classes 60% must be above 300-level. Call and ask it could be 200.

Hi,

I was paranoid and I emailed them twice about this. Okay, apparently senior courses are those above second (this is not for those taking a special year however). My best two years are first and second year. Hence, for a 60% courseload of that year means 3 out of 5 of my second year courses must be second year, and three of those courses must also be senior level, which they are (because senior level is defined as courses above first year, second year included).

Archived