Premed 101 Forums

A question about the MD/PhD stream and income

With regards to the MD/PhD stream, when do accepted students start earning a basic income? If I'm not mistaken, general MD students start earning a steady wage after completion of their program (which may be 3 or 4 years in length). Do MD/PhD students start earning money after completion of their PhD AND MD, or do they receive some form of salary DURING the completion of the PhD?

This may seem like a ridiculous question, but perhaps I may put it into context. I am in a situation where I may soon HAVE to become the sole source of income for my family, as my mother is ill. My decision to pursue the MD/PhD program or MD program alone may have to be based on how quickly I can start earning a base salary.

I realize that I may always return later on to complete my PhD (after obtaining my MD), but I am keen on doing it through the MD/PhD program.

Thanks for your help :)

The base salary you're talking about is the pay for being a resident - which you won't be until you complete the PhD. However, graduate students do have an income - this can be internal (from your supervisor and assistantship) or external (i.e. NSERC, NIH, if you apply for and are awarded the scholarships/grants). The amount of guaranteed funding for a PhD student varies according to your university and program. If income is a primary concern, also consider that you have to complete your residency afterward, during which you are still paid very little compared to a physician. Your earning potential is much greater much sooner with the direct route.

Hello CrazyMonkey, you can also get MD/PhD scholarship from external funding agencies including CIHR. Note AHFMR also give out MD/PhD scholarship but only if you are attending U of C or U of A medical school.

That way when you are doing MD portion or PhD portion you can still get income (~$22,000/year - mind you, after paying tuition there is barely anything left for living expenses). I guess its still better than nothing though....:D Of course if the money is tight then line of credit from banks is still available (usually ~$150,000)

BUT if you want to make money the fastest then doing a PhD is probably the last thing you should do... If you really want to pursue research but can not financially commit yourself to a PhD program then you can go through couple years of research fellowship instead (after residency), which have significantly higher income than a PhD studentship.

Archived