Premed 101 Forums

Admission Question

Hi,

I have a question about the rural requirement at northern; I was born and raised in a rural area, population around 1000 ppl, lived there for 16 years, before moving to Canada(to GTA)...do you think that Northern would consider this experience valuable? Or should I not even bother with it, as I have lived for 8 years in the GTA?

Please give me your opinions,

J.

Guest soaring_eagle

Hi Jen,

I think the expectation with Rural experience is that you will eventually return to practise in the Rural area you come from. Many areas of Canada are experiencing doctor shortages, and unfortunately rural areas have it among the worst. NOSM was created to address that problem.

But if you can demonstrate a commitment to practising in rural areas in your application (IN CANADA) it may be worth your while.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
I'm pretty sure that NOSM judges northern and rural status based on the high school you attended, your postal code and the population of the city/town you live in. Hard to fudge that as all of these can be verified pretty easily.

If I can just add two cents...I am a student at NOSM, and the high school that I attended was in Southern Ontario. Granted, it was a smallish town, and I've lived in the north for a few years now (not consistently) since high school. If you feel something is important to add or if it is something you would like the admissions committee to know about you, then you should add it as there are a lot of factors on your application that are taken in to consideration.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my issue with them looking at the high school and deciding if you are rural (if in fact this is what they do):

I went to a high school that was located in a city, however it was a regional high school which also served the surrounding municipalities. So I went in on a bus every day from my municipality of 5000 people and mingled with the kids from the "big city". And friends of mine came from even further away, from towns of 300ish people.

If NOSM scores you based on your high school, we would all get the same score, even though we came from very different areas.

I hope that they therefore take into consideration your postal code to see where you actually lived in deciding what level of "rural" you qualify for.

I'm applying to NOSM this year; we have to enter both our high school and list where we have lived during the course of our life.

Postal codes are probably the most reliable thing they've got to quantify how "rural" we are. In my case, my postal code makes me less rural. I grew up in the middle of nowhere, but my postal code associates me with a town of around 1100. Oh well.

Good luck to all!

Archived