Premed 101 Forums

University of Ontario for undergrad?

Guest mario121

Guest mario121

Hey all,

Im about to enter my 2nd year of undergrad at University of Ontario Institute of Technology (new uni,started in 2003). Im doing well and really enjoy it here. My marks are good and we get alot of communication with profs, which is great. My concern is that I think I might want to apply for medical school after my undergrad, and Im concerned that the newness of my school would look bad. Theres also a reputation out there that the school is a joke, and just a scam to get peoples money for the laptops. I dont believe this to be true at all, but Im afraid others might not believe me.

I know most Canadian schools generally dont care where you did your undergrad, but since UoO is so new, could this be a problem? Im thinking about possibly transferring to UoT(my little brother is going there and its too big) or York(my older brother is going there and its too big!), but dont really want to if I dont have to. Any help would be appreciated here.:-/

Thanks.

Guest scooter

As long as it is a recognized University and you are in a recognized program (ie qualify for osap and meet the requirements for a regualar BSc or what ever) then I don't think you need to worry. Now that it is summer, why not give one of the schools you are keen on and get their opinion... but what i have generally heard is that there are sooo many applicants that they cna't be bothered to be considering which school and which program you went ot and is it harder (subjectively) than a different school.... I wouldn't worry and if it is an accredited public university run the same as anyone else then no one cares. I mean docs from NOMS are going to be just as competitive as from anotehr school and their school is brand new.

Guest satsumargirl

Hey Mario121,

Well, you can always contact a few schools and just ask them what their views are....you will probably find it won't matter :) But better to hear it from them then from us here!

That is too bad the school seems to be getting a rep for being "a joke". But my understanding is that they opened that University partly to meet a need that other universities were not....and they wanted to become the MIT of Canada. So if you are in a unique program that is argument for choosing that university (though I doubt you will have to justify your choice). Also, just because you perceive a certain reputation being created among other students, doesn't mean it will be viewed that way by the faculties.

Also keep in mind there is always some rivalry between universities that are close in proximity...I remember many Guelph students refering to Laurier as "The high school down the street" (may have actually originated at Waterloo, don't know). Doesn't mean Laurier has bad programs...in fact they have some good ones. They are just jokes made in fun. And being the new kid on the block makes you a bit vulnerable. Especially to U of T...old school. (actually I remember some U of T students making fun of Guelph which is kind of silly since Guelph used to be part of U of T).

All this rambling to say...call up some schools if it will make you feel better and give you reassurence (the Ottawa admissions staff are very approachable if you are worried about that...u could start there) is and if you like your program then no reason to change!

Good luck

Sats

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I remember many Guelph students refering to Laurier as "The high school down the street" (may have actually originated at Waterloo, don't know).

Ummm, yeah, like, Wilfrid Laurier University grad here. I don't see how like Guelph people (aka: 'Moo U') could refer to us as "the high school down the street", seeing as how Waterloo actually is located just down the street from Laurier, like, like.

Doesn't mean Laurier has bad programs...in fact they have some good ones.

Ummm, yeah, like, Wilfrid Laurier does have some really great programs. In fact, there were two WLU grads in my medical class at Western and a couple others in the years below ours. That's pretty good for a tiny school (relatively speaking, of course) that doesn't graduate many scientists to begin with, I'd say!

One of the programs that has drawn national acclaim is the business program, which is supposedly pretty good (I wouldn't know, since I was in Science). Oh, and the football program there is pretty good as well- they did like totally win the Vanier Cup in 2005 and haven't lost an OUA conference game in like two consecutive seasons, you know. Go Hawks, go!!! :D

Best of luck!

Timmy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mario121

Just an update for anyone interested:

Queens, McMaster, and University of Western Ontario said it was acceptable, but Ottawa said they dont accept it. They said they discussed the issue last may "at the provincial level". I havent got in contact with uot or nosm yet.

Guest blinknoodle
Queens, McMaster, and University of Western Ontario said it was acceptable, but Ottawa said they dont accept it. They said they discussed the issue last may "at the provincial level". I havent got in contact with uot or nosm yet.

I find it quite odd that Ottawa doesn't consider UOIT as an acceptable undergrad university. It may change by the time you end up submitting an application.

Archived