Premed 101 Forums

Clerkship Flexibility

Hi Everyone,

It seems as though alot of Ontario med students are able to organize their electives and rotations out of province. Does anyone know how much flexibility UofA has for students doing rotations and electives out of prov? Is there a limit to how much time can be spent out of Alberta? Thanks!

Someone may be able to correct or clarify what I know.

You have to do your core rotations in Edmonton at the hospitals you're placed at. But otherwise, for all your additional rotations and electives, you can do them anywhere. There is no maximum amount of electives, only a minimum and then you do whatever you'd like. You just have to go about setting them up in the locations you want yourself.

i forget the exact number, but i think in third year you have 8 weeks of elective time to do a minumum of 6 weeks of elective, while in 4th year you have 10 weeks to do a minimum of 8 weeks. you can do your electives anywhere you want but the rules are that you must do electives in at least three different specialties during each year.

You have to do electives in three different specialties total in third and fourth year combined (not per year)-a minimum of two weeks in each of the three different specialties. In total, you must accumulate 13 wks (okay, this may be 14, but you'll find out soon enough) or greater of elective time during clerkship.

Some people in my class were able to arrange their core surgery rotation in rural alberta... so you may want to ask about this if you are interested at all in rural work.

Apply early for out of province electives, especially in BC. They are notoriously hard to get placements at.

Cheers and good luck!

Chemgirl, SI3 (soon to be SI4, yay!)

Each school has their own policy - it's a good idea to check into things early (look at their webpages for visiting electives students). In general, yes it is easier for students to set up electives at their home school - distinction is not made by province (U of A students don't get special consideration at U of C).

Archived