Premed 101 Forums

Top 3 Choices?

THX

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering what everyone's top 3 schools are?

For me:

1. Vermont
  2. Dartmouth
  3. Boston University

Hahaha my top 3 were exactly the same in that exact order (I applied last year). Unfortunately I am still waitlisted at #1 and rejected at the other 2.

On the bright side, I was accepted to a Canadian school so I can save about 40K a year on tuition.

Hope you get into your top choices!

Gavanshir, you of all people should be looking into the SMPs in the states - given that you can easily get funding for the states, being a perm res....

Maybe you are right. To be honest, I never really considered them previously. Although I just looked over the Columbia program and it seems it's really best suited for those who have been out of school for a while and don't have the preq courses, but I do like the linkage programs..

Also, I dont know what type of loans I'd be eligible for (federal?) and whether it would even be worth getting a min. 20K loan for this type of program to repeat what I studied here just a few years ago for free.. also do you know if the loans would cover cost of living as well or just tuition?

Thirdly, I think I'd just feel bad moving to another country to do a 2 year program when I could just as well do a 2 year program right here at McGill for a STEAL and still live comfortably on financial aid.

I am applying this cycle with my below avg stats and so far I think I'll only give myself 1 more year to retake the MCAT if need be and bring up my GPA slightly. I decided against a second bac at McGill mainly because I already have around 17K in debt and I couldnt justify paying my rent and cost of living from loans for another 3 years..

Alastriss, until we get in somewhere, we're all beggars. :P

If I get a few acceptances, I'll start the ranking game.

agreed.

looking at the stats of the people on this board, I'd say most of us have a decent shot. I wouldn't call us beggars.

I would consider myself a beggar in Ontario, however.

Guest begaster

Yup, interviewed at three places. Mediocre to sucky on my first one, nightmarishly bad on my second, and absolutely aced my third one (to no avail, I didn't have the GPA for it).

KennethToronto also, n00b.

Maybe you are right. To be honest, I never really considered them previously. Although I just looked over the Columbia program and it seems it's really best suited for those who have been out of school for a while and don't have the preq courses, but I do like the linkage programs..

Also, I dont know what type of loans I'd be eligible for (federal?) and whether it would even be worth getting a min. 20K loan for this type of program to repeat what I studied here just a few years ago for free.. also do you know if the loans would cover cost of living as well or just tuition?

Thirdly, I think I'd just feel bad moving to another country to do a 2 year program when I could just as well do a 2 year program right here at McGill for a STEAL and still live comfortably on financial aid.

I am applying this cycle with my below avg stats and so far I think I'll only give myself 1 more year to retake the MCAT if need be and bring up my GPA slightly. I decided against a second bac at McGill mainly because I already have around 17K in debt and I couldnt justify paying my rent and cost of living from loans for another 3 years..

they're actually one-year programmes. look up university of cincinnati master of physiology, or georgetown (the grandpapa of these things) and university of western virginia (UVMS) - one year, do first year med classes, get graded and ranked alongside first year med students, do some extra classes thrown in, and have a 60% chance of acceptance in same year and greater than 80% chance of acceptance in next year. if EVMS, 95% acceptance to EVMS the next year, and if doing tulane's anatomy certification programme (need a waitlist at a u.s. school to apply), 98% acceptance to tulane the next year. i believe there are stafford loans for this. i did the cinci programme. it's not a repeat, it's first year med. for those who haven't done the prereqs, the postbacc programmes are better (bryn mawr partic. or columbia may have one. columbia's nutrition master's is the one-year master programme for those who don't need the prereqs)

mcgill has name rec. in states too. consider cost of second bacc versus carribbean (more expensive than u.s. privates, and with residency, you'd at least get some bursaries from them, but not in caribbean)... one of my big mistakes was planning on a yearly basis. it eventually took me five years, and that likely could have been more like three if planned for. it easily turns into five, because when you can see more and more success each year, hard to give up and turn down the ultimate success. it is something worth a few more $$ of investment - the analysis says that you'll be able to pay it off afterwards.

Archived