Premed 101 Forums

Mature student

Hello All

I'm a mature applicant (36 years old) with a PhD and a GPA of 3.81. I'm currently finishing my post doctoral fellowship. I am planning on applying to Ottawa U this year. I was wondering about the importance of volunteering in my situation. I don't have many volunteering activities due to time constraints. How decisive is volunteering in my situation.

Thank you very much for all your help

MK

You can`t really know what will happen until you apply. And you can`t really go back a change your past activities. So just apply and hope for the best.

I think volunteering shows community involvement, and depending on the type of volunteering an ability to interact with different populations etc. It also shows a commitment to something other than school/studying. You may have other ways of demonstrating this.

Good luck

Volunteering isn't a must. For undergrad students, it's a way to show that you can balance a busy schedule while showing an interest in helping others. However, they make it clear that other factors, such as having to work to pay for tuition, could take up that extra time in your schedule and that you will not be penalized for it.

You say you had time constraints that precluded volunteering. This is fine - as long as they know what it is you've been using your time for (for example, if you started a family, or had other time-consuming commitments and obligations). They just want to see that you can do something other than study (this really applies more to undergrad students than PhD such as yourself, anyway).

Archived