Premed 101 Forums

2011's and beyond!

We got a list of books for the intro to medicine unit. How would you rate them? Please put down which year you are in so that we get an idea of how useful the books are throughout the medical education.

a) Buy (essential book)

B) Borrow (you only need it for that unit, alternative: buy and sell back asap)

c) Waste of Money (don't bother)

d) Its online for free!

Required Textbooks

-ROBBINS BASIC PATHOLOGY, by Kumar, Abbas, Fausto and Mitchell,

-MELMON and MORELLI’S CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY, by Carruthers, Hoffman, Melmon and Nierenberg,

Recommended Textbooks

-NELSON ESSENTIALS OF PEDIATRICS, by Kliegman, Marcdante, Jenson and Behrman,

-Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews: BIOCHEMISTRY, by Champe, Harvey and Ferrier,

-GOODMAN & GILMAN’S THE PHARMACOLOGICAL BASIS OF THERAPEUTICS, by Brunton, Lazo and Parker,

Thanks!

I'm in 2011 and can explain the choices of books to you :)

With all textbook choices, I think it's up to you, what your background is and how many textbooks you already own.

Robbins - this is "baby Robbins". It's a nice, concise outline of Pathology. It also has an online component (student consult) that is great. You can access the entire text online i.e. never need to bring your text to school to read, plus it offers practice quizzes. During the upcoming 2 years, the Pathology department has agreed to stick to this textbook when teaching their parts of our blocks. i.e. you will be expected to have read a few pages b/f your path lectures (different than in previous years).

M&M Clinical Pharm - this is required by a new teacher for you guys, so no one can really comment on it except for him. Having a pharm text book is a great idea, maybe take a look at this one in the book store before committing?

Nelson's - you'll use this all the way through first and second year in the child health sections of each block. I have it. I love it. Again it has student consult access. HOWEVER, Dr. Mitchell will provide you with pdfs of the applicable sections of chapters that you'll need for these sections. Your call.

Lipincott's - mostly just recommended if you're weak in biochem. If you have a great text book that got you through undergrad biochem, you're golden. If you didn't take biochem or slept through it, this one is nice because it simplifies concepts and gives you clinical cases to apply them to.

G&G's Pharm - the bible of Pharmacology and priced accordingly. I don't have it, haven't seen it, can't comment. I know that the Lipincott's version of Pharm is handy though :)

I have a list of recommendations from my class that I will forward to your class in September.

2011's and beyond!

We got a list of books for the intro to medicine unit. How would you rate them? Please put down which year you are in so that we get an idea of how useful the books are throughout the medical education.

a) Buy (essential book)

B) Borrow (you only need it for that unit, alternative: buy and sell back asap)

c) Waste of Money (don't bother)

d) Its online for free!

Required Textbooks

-ROBBINS BASIC PATHOLOGY, by Kumar, Abbas, Fausto and Mitchell,

-MELMON and MORELLI’S CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY, by Carruthers, Hoffman, Melmon and Nierenberg,

Recommended Textbooks

-NELSON ESSENTIALS OF PEDIATRICS, by Kliegman, Marcdante, Jenson and Behrman,

-Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews: BIOCHEMISTRY, by Champe, Harvey and Ferrier,

-GOODMAN & GILMAN’S THE PHARMACOLOGICAL BASIS OF THERAPEUTICS, by Brunton, Lazo and Parker,

Thanks!

Also, you'll be getting another email with the anatomy book list (if you haven't already). Again, if you already have great anatomy and histology texts and atlases you're golden. I wish that I had known about these books before last September so my aunts and uncles could have bought me congratulation presents.

Basically, you (or someone in your dissection group) needs a colour anatomical atlas. You can choose between drawn or photographic. I got the photographic Moses and really like it. Other people I know that have Netter's swear by it. Rohen's is a combo of the 2 and also popular. Take a look at several pictures and decide if this book is something you can learn from. There may be online versions of atlases as well.

The required Illustrated Clinical Anatomy is (I think) new this year - no comment on it.

I have the Gray's student anatomy text book - it has lots of descriptions and I found it very useful. It also has student consult online features, and is one of the "recommended" not required books.

Finally, Netter's histology is strongly recommended. If you don't already have a histology textbook/a good histo background, understanding pathology lectures in the next few years will be easy with the histo book. I have an old version of Wheater's that does just fine for me.

**Remember that my and my colleagues opinions are free, and worth every penny**

Archived