Premed 101 Forums

Essay advice

Odie

So...I have this friend who says that if you use "they"instead of "he or she" in a sentence that you get marks off for proper grammar. Don't know if it is true.

I have to admit I am more comfortable using they but would writing "he or she" be more appropriate?

I've heard that the writing sample isn't graded on grammar unless improper grammar affects your clarity. That said, I use he or she when the subject is singular and they when plural. My problem is whether I should explicitly write "he or she" or just chose one when I use hypothetical examples.

Try not to get caught in having to continually say "he or she" in the same sentence or constantly throughout the paragraph. If you can phrase it in a way to avoid doing it repeatedly, it'll sound nicer. It certainly won't make or break your essay though.

Don't just use "she." It's incorrect. Better to have it correct than to incorrectly break the rule. Much better to phrase it in a way so that you don't get caught up in silly grammar rules though. ;)

Archived