Premed 101 Forums

GPA Calculation if I've taken more than 10 courses in one year

So, my fourth year, I took 11 courses (33 credits) instead of ten. Does UO count all of them, or does it let me drop the lowest one of the eleven and only look at ten of then? If the cutoff is still a 3.87 next year, it's basically the difference between an interview or not for me.

Does anyone know of any schools other than Western and u of T that does this...i take 14 courses every year....

WTF! geeze that's insane. you are either an intellectual genius or a nerd who has no life.

i guess i should congratulate you though, there is no way i could ever do that and get decent marks. I took 17 credits last semester and that almost broke my back.

Does anyone know of any schools other than Western and u of T that does this...i take 14 courses every year....

Unfortunately UofT does NOT do this they take into account ALL the courses taken during the Sept-April terms and drop the lowest according to how many years you've completed.

But just in case email them you never know ;)

Yeah, I haven't heard of UT or UWO taking your best 10 courses per year (if you took more than a full courseload).

UT only drops your 6 or 8 lowest courses (assuming you take >=10 per year). UWO considers your 2 best years (of >=10 courses per year). It'd be nice if you could take more than 10 courses to have that extra little buffer though. Shame it only makes it harder + unnecessary.

western does...

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/education/admissions/medicine/documents/FAQs20070820080612.pdf

"

3. How are GPAs calculated?

Only those years in which at least 5 full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) are taken between September and April will be used in the calculation of GPA admission cutoffs.

When students are required to take more than 5 full courses during any September to April academic year because of program requirements, the five best courses will be used in the calculation of GPA admission cutoffs."

true u of t doesn't particularly care if you taken an increased load, but they will remove some courses...but you are right it doesn't particularly favour those who have taken more

Archived