Premed 101 Forums

Question: decreased/increased by a factor of...?

heart

Hey I have this question on my mind that is really bothering me. :confused: Maybe some people here can help.

If X is reduced by a factor of 4, does it become 1/4X or 3/4X?

Similarly, if X is increased by a factor of 4, does it become 4X or 5X?

Thanks in advance.

If x is reduced by a factor of four, that means that it is now one quarter its initial value. This is equal to saying (1/4)x (i.e. one quarter of x). If X is increased by a factor of four, you are saying that X is four times larger than it was before. This is equal to 4x (four times larger).

If x is reduced by a factor of four, that means that it is now one quarter its initial value. This is equal to saying (1/4)x (i.e. one quarter of x). If X is increased by a factor of four, you are saying that X is four times larger than it was before. This is equal to 4x (four times larger).

Ah, I get it now. I was confused by the way the answer key was written by Examkrackers. According to Examkrackers, "when the force of air resistance is F..." & "when the air resistance is reduced by a factor of 4, the net force must be F -1/4F = 3/4F."

I was confusing the Fnet w/ Fair resistance. :P

Thank you so much. I thought I had these ideas wrong all along. Now I know I was right, I just didn't get the answer key. Thanks again the law. :)

Archived