Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Worth Writing?

Wallywarp

What do y'all think about this? I don't feel upto the MCAT, in that there is a high probability that I could perform very poorly this time, because of limited time in studying. Is it worth writing the MCAT, with the expectation of possibly having to re-write? Or is it best to wait a few months, even one year before writing, all the while preparing? You are all compassionate future physicians willing to help.

Write it, if you study lots now (8-12 hr a day) (since the next one is sept 12th) you should still be able to well (10s maybe) on the science sections (they are review of 1st and 2nd year sciences) and regardless most schools take either your best mcat score or the latest one.

Thanks. I realize that I may still have a standing chance with the sciences, and the writing sample, but not so much the verbal. It requires a lot more time to improve on the verbal section than any other section. Even if I got a 13 in P, and a 12 in B, and an S for the writing sample, a 5 or a 6 on the V will still put me out. Sorry for being a downer, not really doing so deliberately, just caught in a tight situation. Is it possible to even improve on the verbal in such a short time? I need to increase my verbal score by 5 levels, just to be considered by most schools. :eek:

If you are consistenly scoring like 5 os 6s on your verbals than I suggest you write it another time. However, if you have the time and money to spare, I guess you could write it just for the sake of experience but its probably not worth the stress you are putting yourself through.

Thanks for the post. I signed up for the date already. I paid something like $210 or so awhile back. Is it too late to get any money back?

If I write and score an 11/11/6(verb) P, will it hurt my chances at applying to Ontario medical schools which require the MCAT? :(

I mean if I had that score, but rewrote the MCAT, then tried to apply, will the bad verbal haunt me like a poltergeist? :(

I'm all over the place here, you can see how bogged down the verbal is making me. :(

Thanks for the post. I signed up for the date already. I paid something like $210 or so awhile back. Is it too late to get any money back?

If I write and score an 11/11/6(verb) P, will it hurt my chances at applying to Ontario medical schools which require the MCAT? :(

I mean if I had that score, but rewrote the MCAT, then tried to apply, will the bad verbal haunt me like a poltergeist? :(

I'm all over the place here, you can see how bogged down the verbal is making me. :(

that score will not make you competive. if you rewrote the exam, and scored higher in both VR and your overall mark, then the highest mark would be considered, like already mentioned. so the VR score would not be like a poltergeist, assuming you did better when you rewrote.

you can only obtain 1/2 of your money back if you cancel before the cancellation period expires.

like a previous poster mentioned, if your VR score is that low, save yourself the trouble and not write it. if you can drastically improve it before the test, or have time and money to burn then go ahead.

if you are having problems with VR then it could be a problem. That's something that isn't exactly 'learned' (unlike the sciences which is all about learning and concept understanding).

I've never had problems with VR...and I wish I was a better teacher so maybe I could pass on some of my skills to you.

IF you are having any troubles with Sciences this is what I do...I use the EK books (I also have TPR and Kaplan, but find them not as good IMO) and I read the books 2x (going through the exercises) Each time you read should be about a day (depending on how long your study days are). On the second read through I write notes as I go along (takes a little longer, but worth it) This compresses the 120-200 pg books into something like 20 pages which makes it FAR faster to re-read and get the repetitive cycle going to help you retain the information.

But I know SOME people who have spent only 2 weeks studying for the MCAT and all scored very high (of course for 2 weeks they had no social life) this may of been for just Sciences though, as I believe their VR and WS skills were already quite good before they were preparing for the MCAT.

All in all...you will be paying for at least half of it, might as well write it, because you never know you might get lucky on VR (as the passages might be ones that you can relate more to?).

Write it, if you study lots now (8-12 hr a day) (since the next one is sept 12th) you should still be able to well (10s maybe) on the science sections

I find it very unlikely that 2 weeks is enough to master the MCAT sciences section--even if they cover mostly 1st year sciences, and even if you spend 8-12 hours a day (which is not that uncommon, I think).

Really, the MCAT is an all-or-nothing deal. You either fully commit to daily slavery or you don't. Also, you don't want to write the MCAT more than once if you don't have to (Full Disclosure: I just had my second writing a few days ago).

Unless you're really bright, I would give yourself ample time to study. Have you written any practice tests yet? If you're already scoring near the 10s, then certainly go for 2 more weeks of study and write the MCAT.

Otherwise, don't commit if you can't commit.

(Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer. I just don't want anyone else to undergo the MCAT pain if they don't have to. Best of luck)

I find it very unlikely that 2 weeks is enough to master the MCAT sciences section--even if they cover mostly 1st year sciences, and even if you spend 8-12 hours a day (which is not that uncommon, I think).

Really, the MCAT is an all-or-nothing deal. You either fully commit to daily slavery or you don't. Also, you don't want to write the MCAT more than once if you don't have to (Full Disclosure: I just had my second writing a few days ago).

Unless you're really bright, I would give yourself ample time to study. Have you written any practice tests yet? If you're already scoring near the 10s, then certainly go for 2 more weeks of study and write the MCAT.

Otherwise, don't commit if you can't commit.

(Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer. I just don't want anyone else to undergo the MCAT pain if they don't have to. Best of luck)

well said!

I heard that the MCAT wasn't that bad. It was just long though. Is that how you found it, or was it much worse? How would it compare to having two final exams back to back?

That is not a good comparison. For me because first of all it's a foriegn experience + even though it isin't really the case it defientaly SEEMS at least for me that there was more on the line.

It is long the last 30 mins of bio were tough for me, but it can easily be accomplished through practice, the week of the MCAT (friday) I wrote a full length at the exact same time as my real mcat from saturday to wednesday, so when I walked in on friday it just felt like another day.

You are getting the best answers possible based on limited information you provided for us OP,

1) How badly do you want to get in

2) How good is your gpa

3) where is your home province

4) How confident are you in your ability to improve

It is possible to nail the mcat in 3 weeks if you have a solid performance on that day, and if you really hit the books hard. Yet verbal is something that may take time depending on you. I suggest you sit this one out and try again next year.

That's what I did, personally, I like going into an exam knowing that I have another chance if I don't get it the first time around.

^^^For Alastriss:

As badly as everyone else?

My home province is ON.

My gpa will be very competitive upon application time

Confidence in my ability to improve? <---that is probably the deciding factor here. I want to improve. I want to work hard to improve. But time is a factor here. I don't know how well I can beef up the verbal in time for test day. :(

I am starting classes, and will have limited time to study. This makes ultra cramming difficult. :confused: :confused:

I heard that the MCAT wasn't that bad. It was just long though. Is that how you found it, or was it much worse? How would it compare to having two final exams back to back?

it depends how much you condition yourself. the first practice test i wrote, i was just like wat the %$#&, this is insane. however, if you write one a day for a few days in a row they don't seem so bad anymore and the actual test will be much easier to handle.

IMOP, writing the mcat is still more difficult than writing final exams back to back, however i come from a non-life science background so take it for what its worth.

Archived