Premed 101 Forums

Tape Recorder for Lectures

Do any medical students use microcassette tape recorders, or MP3/digital recorders for lectures in the preclinical years?

How many of you actually used these recorders for lectures in your premed days? Was it useful, or just a lot of extra, and useless effort? In one of my courses I saw a stack full of them at the lectern/podium where the prof's computer was, literally like 25-30 recorders all tucked neatly together with the red led lights on.

_MCASSET.JPG

I only used one for a class I periodically missed in undergrad (sent it with my roommate). The ones that use an actual tape do not work well. Get a digital one if you're going to invest.

Most profs don't seem to care, but one did completely go nuts on this girl in one of my classes when he saw her recorder. Like, he was absolutely shocked that she thought it was okay to record him and proceeded to give a very damning speech about "intellectual property". Poor girl, I felt terrible for her. Just a warning. I'm sure this isn't terribly common.

Started using them in 3rd year and continued to use it ever since then. For smaller classes where the profs write notes on the board and go slow, you don't need these.

For the very big classes where it's just a bunch of slides and the prof just lectures, recording these were VERY helpful especially for those who doze off during lectures. Becomes even more useful when the tests are based soley on what is said in lecture.

Archived