Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters

Dalhousie does not require reference letters this year (or previous years?) unless you are granted an interview. The application says that if you are granted one, you will be asked to have the two letters forwarded by a certain date.

My question is whether this date will give sufficient time for my referees to write their letters. I would prefer to only ask them for permission to use them as a referee with a stipulation that if I am granted an interview they then write a letter. Is that the basic idea behind this?

Are you applying to any other medical schools this year?

If YES then ask them to keep an extra copy for when Dal is ready for it.

If NO then I would probably ask them now because profs are notoriously slow at writing ref letters (especially mid-semester when they are also teaching and writing grant proposals, etc).

Alternatively, have them write the letter and store it at Interfolio in the states .....

Are you applying to any other medical schools this year?

If YES then ask them to keep an extra copy for when Dal is ready for it.

If NO then I would probably ask them now because profs are notoriously slow at writing ref letters (especially mid-semester when they are also teaching and writing grant proposals, etc).

Alternatively, have them write the letter and store it at Interfolio in the states .....

How does interfolio work anyways? Just wondering because I want to give my ref's as easy a time as possible.

According to the admissions website:

Reference letters will only be requested from applicants that are

selected for an interview. The deadline to have referee letters

submitted will be April 2nd, 2009.

This year the interviews are:

Week of February 9th: Interview notices are sent out via email.

Late March or Early April (date is TBA): MMI interview weekend

So you'll know a full two months before your reference letter is due

• 1 month later...

I am currently debating over my last reference letter. I have two possible references from volunteering. I would say both are equally positive about me, but one may have more experience writing med school references letters than the other.

I have this preconceived notion that Dal wants specific types of reference letters. I know they want strengths and weaknesses from the referee, but can it still be a stellar reference if the person doesn't have a lot of experience writing med school reference letters?

Archived