Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Length of Study

vigilent

If this is answered somewhere else, please refer me to the thread.

How long should one plan to study for the MCAT?

I have been away from science courses for over 3 years and barely remember any physics or chemistry concepts. In addition, I have never taken organic chemistry.

I have a fairly relaxed Fall semester and am thinking of buckling down and studying. Is 3 full months (October, November, December) of studying adequate for an attempt at the MCAT?

I know most people do it in the summer. I work full time and the summer is the one time of the year when a vacation is most needed. Don't want to give that up. If I don't do well in January, then will have to sacrifice the summer.

Any thoughts from the MCAT pros out there?

Thanks. :cool:

I found 3 months to be good.... going about 4-5 days a week...

I did that without having taken university physics, chem or orgo.... and being 4 years removed from my high school courses in those subjects.

So it broke down into about 2 month of review and 3-4 weeks of practice tests and problems. It was definitely doable in 3 months.

If this is answered somewhere else, please refer me to the thread.

How long should one plan to study for the MCAT?

I have been away from science courses for over 3 years and barely remember any physics or chemistry concepts. In addition, I have never taken organic chemistry.

I have a fairly relaxed Fall semester and am thinking of buckling down and studying. Is 3 full months (October, November, December) of studying adequate for an attempt at the MCAT?

I know most people do it in the summer. I work full time and the summer is the one time of the year when a vacation is most needed. Don't want to give that up. If I don't do well in January, then will have to sacrifice the summer.

Any thoughts from the MCAT pros out there?

Thanks. :cool:

Well my scores arn't out yet (I wrote on Sept. 12th) but I did ~4 hours a day for about 2 months (on my own).

I haven't started yet and am already a bit freaked out about the material. Have this anxiety to open the books!

I guess I should get it over with and start. The fear is not knowing anything.

What resources did you guys use? Kaplan/Examkrackers/TPR?

I have the Kaplan set and was thinking of taking their classes? Would you recommend?

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
i had this same qustion....

is it a bad sign if u have just started looking at practice tests and the chem questions look like a foreign language? p.s. hanvnt started studying for mcat yet..no prep classes or anything

I'm in the same situation. I took general chem and physics two years ago and haven't taken university level bio, bio chem, or orgo. I looked at a practice test and was blown away. Is this how many people feel before studying?

Last course I had taken was in 2004 (Organic). I covered all the material in 1.5 months of full time study (using TPR hyperlearning books only) but I did not write since I didn't even start my practical component (bad study strategy). I would say a solid 3 months of full time should do it. If I had another month I should have been good to go. Remember to buy/acquire the official AAMC exams. Examkrackers seems to condense/distill the material and it is better presented but never used it (I bought it for the next MCAT cycle). I'll use Examkrackers next - seems to teach you only what you need to know, TPR/Kaplan go in more detail. The MCAT doesn't seem to test knowledge as much as problem solving skills that REQUIRE the knowledge.

I'm in the same situation. I took general chem and physics two years ago and haven't taken university level bio, bio chem, or orgo. I looked at a practice test and was blown away. Is this how many people feel before studying?

don't you need orgo and biochem as prereqs for medicine?

In any case I would recommend taking them. It will make your life a lot easier.

Hey there,

I took the mcat this past summer without taking bio, orgo, biochem, or whatever else it is all you science majors take. I ended up with a 10 in the biological sciences section; nothing to write home about, but respectable nonetheless.

As far as these being prerequisites goes, each school requires different things. For my interests, dal doesn't have any necessary courses, and thus leaves me scotch free of specific course responsibilities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did it last summer after my first year in science. I studied for one week (1hr/day), mainly just using stuff off the mcat site and the free test. I ended up with 9's and P.

This summer I plan on buying a study book to help and spend a month studying, about 2hrs/day. That should probably be good enough. Hopefully get 11's and Q

• 5 weeks later...

Archived