Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances?

joshto

I know everyone is telling you otherwise, but I think you do have a chance in the U.S. Your GPA is amazing, and may compensate for your MCAT. I personally know people who got into U.S. schools with MCAT scores below 30 and with lower GPAs than you, so it's definately possible for you too. In the States, both an A and A+ are 4.0, so your 3.95 may be even higher. You should apply early and pick your schools wisely. However, your chances in Canada are really limited because of your MCAT. You could apply to Ottawa and Mac, since these schools don't require the MCAT. Since you're GPA and extra-curricular are great, you would have a shot at least at these two schools. Good luck! :)

I have just finished my final semester of undergrad. My original plan was to re-write the MCAT (a 3rd time) on June 18th; however, I think I've exhausted my studious capabilities for the next little while-- I really don't feel up for giving up another summer studying for the MCAT. From what we've learned about the applicant's this cycle, do I have any realistic shot?

GPA 3.95

MCAT:

July/07

10 BS

10 PS

6 VR

26S

July/08

8 BS

10 PS

9 VR

27S

EC: lots of shadowing/clinical experience, some non-tradition artistic endeavors, etc.

lots of volunteer work:

coaching

shadowing

helping in research labs

clubs, etc.

professional work:

worked for a fashion/art magazine

generated over $1million in sales over 5 years

gpa: ~3.85+

How can you have such an incredibly high GPA, but bomb the MCAT twice in a row? I suggest you study for the MCAT, because your GPA is indicative of a pretty smart person. Regardless of your undergrad, you should be able to tackle the basic science on the MCAT. It does take time...2 or 3 months

Archived