Premed 101 Forums

Do Canadians applying to American medical schools go through affirmative action?

Actually, I know of someone who was a Canadian applicant that very recently benefited from affirmative action. She had somewhat below average stats (<3.5 GPA, 27 MCAT), and she got 3 US MD acceptances. She told that me that her minority status really helped her.

But keep in mind that you have to be an "under-represented" minority - not just any minority. In other words, if you are Asian or Middle Eastern, you will not get any special consideration because those minorities are already well-represented in medicine.

But keep in mind that you have to be an "under-represented" minority - not just any minority. In other words, if you are Asian or Middle Eastern, you will not get any special consideration because those minorities are already well-represented in medicine.

Hmm....

http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/start.htm

I see they took out which 4 minorities they were focussing on in their new definition but "Before June 26, 2003, the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans. The AAMC remains committed to ensuring access to medical education and medicine-related careers for individuals from these four historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups."

• 4 weeks later...
Actually, I know of someone who was a Canadian applicant that very recently benefited from affirmative action. She had somewhat below average stats (<3.5 GPA, 27 MCAT), and she got 3 US MD acceptances. She told that me that her minority status really helped her.

What schools did your friend apply to?? I am a Canadian Aboriginal student, would I benefit??

What schools did your friend apply to?? I am a Canadian Aboriginal student, would I benefit??

She received acceptances from Meharry, SUNY Upstate, and Wayne State. Of course, there are many other schools that you could apply to as well because most US med schools do try bolster the number of URM's in their classes.

I think that you would benefit, but I am not 100% sure. I do know that Native Americans are included in AAMC's criteria for under-represented minorities.

I was speaking to a Mohawk student in my class, and she mentioned something about how she had separate citizenship - which presumably means you don't have to worry about international student stats? I'm not sure about AA, but I think that Wayne (which is big on diversity) would love you.

Archived