Premed 101 Forums

How I got a T on written sample...

dizzle

I figured I'd share some of the techniques I used to give back for all the support I got from you guys :)

I recently scored a 34T on my MCAT, but I wasn't always killing the WS when I was preparing in the princeton review course...

On the mocks and online written feedback I consistently got O-P with an occasional Q (like 2/8) on TPR mocks... By the time I got to the AAMC mocks, I was freaking out for my real written. edit: after applying this outline that follows I scored R S R T S on AAMC marked mocks and T on my real.

So, I outlined what I HAD to talk about no matter what when I wrote an essay, regardless of topic. This is what I'll share with you:

(I realise some of this stems from the TPR lessons, but w/e, they work!)

----

- first explain: what the hell the prompt is talking about, explain why it's important that the prompt is done the way it is

- second define: "the definition of a government would be an organization that is publicly owned, and contains officials of high ranking that are democratically voted into their position... following these definitions, it can be seen that the public has a true and full right to any information"

- thesis: "a specific example was ..." how does it RELATE? make sure your definitions fit the example

- antithesis: "specific example" WHY does it sometimes have to be the other way?

- synthesis: a rule, explain the rule clearly.. when it happens, when it doesn't. how should you decide when to do one and when to do the other?

i) transition (talk about the CORE issue)

ii) general principle (talk about how it applies in one case and how it applies in another case)

iii) show how the principle applies to YOUR examples (this solidifies the clarity of your principle by showing how it works for your examples)

iv) explain, define and refine the principle (if you have time, talk about how it could apply to different scenarios.... this isn't really necessary in my opinion though)

v) conclude (make sure you leave it ambiguous and NOT take a side lol)

Hope it helps!

-d

Archived