Premed 101 Forums

Will this score be good enough?

Matrim

Hey guys,

I recently wrote my MCAT in July, and I got a 30S. I didn't feel too hot about it, so I rewrote in August and felt SUPER good about it. To my utter amazement and shock, I received my score back a couple of days ago and it turned out to be a 28R!!

Firstly, I am very suspicious about this score. The fact that I thought I would get above a 35 for sure, and then to receive an even LOWER score was pretty mind-boggling. I honestly thought that this was the best test (real and practice) that I had ever taken, and to get back a cruddy mark just made me frustrated. I am going to appeal this, but what is your opinion on the matter? Have there been scoring mistakes in the past?

Also, what is your opinion of a 30S? I am only applying to UofA and UofC; will this hinder my app? I have an ok GPA (3.65ish) and fantastic EC's and letters of ref.

Any help and honesty would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

I can't really comment on UofA and UofC, but you should check because some schools use your most recent, not your best MCAT. Also, if you found the August one easier, many others likely did too - and since the test is curved based on how everyone does, then you have to do a lot better to get a better mark on an easy test.

Hey guys,

I recently wrote my MCAT in July, and I got a 30S. I didn't feel too hot about it, so I rewrote in August and felt SUPER good about it. To my utter amazement and shock, I received my score back a couple of days ago and it turned out to be a 28R!!

Firstly, I am very suspicious about this score. The fact that I thought I would get above a 35 for sure, and then to receive an even LOWER score was pretty mind-boggling. I honestly thought that this was the best test (real and practice) that I had ever taken, and to get back a cruddy mark just made me frustrated. I am going to appeal this, but what is your opinion on the matter? Have there been scoring mistakes in the past?

Also, what is your opinion of a 30S? I am only applying to UofA and UofC; will this hinder my app? I have an ok GPA (3.65ish) and fantastic EC's and letters of ref.

Any help and honesty would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

You can request to have your test rescored (its $50 for the multiple choice sections), but from what I've read you are highly, highly unlikely to see your score change. The consensus seems to be that apart from a data entry error (were any of your sections ridiculously low? Like a 1 or a 2 or something? Did you have computer probs during the test?) you probably won't see any difference. I guess if you have $50 laying around you could go for it, I just wouldn't hold my breath for a much better score.

As Law said, perceived easyness/hardness is not a great measure. Personally, I would rather struggle with an unusally hard MCAT. If you're much more well prepared it will be more obvious on the marking of a harder test than on an easier one (where many people may be able to excel).

I wouldn't bother asking for a rescore, it would just be a waste. Everything that could have gone wrong probably did on your test, which really sucks.

U of A and U of C both take your best MCAT. A 3.65 is a below-average GPA, and a 30S is a below average MCAT. If your ECs/LOR are as fantastic as you claim, you should be able to get an interview. Know that you're fighting an uphill battle with those stats though.

Archived