Premed 101 Forums

Harvard / Yale

astudentis

Agree with rest. We're not trying to be mean or offensive but the 8VR is not good enough. A 35 is nothing spectacular either at Harvard, it's average. A 35 MCAT and 3.98 cGPA is pretty much the average applicant - you'll need to make sure you have some solid ECs. I'd give it a try you never know but don't be suprised if you don't an interview because the VR is too low.

For your ECs - you need to be extraordinary and I'd say leadership in something would be important. Standard involvement isn't good enough.

It's worth a shot IMO. You never know, especially since Harvard isn't rolling.

But like the others have said, while your stats are very good for most schools, you probably fall into the slightly less than competitive category for Harvard and your 8VR will raise red flags at most schools (low tier to top tier); generally the people that get into this top flight schools have no weaknesses in their application have one or two exceptional extracurriculars.

Agree with rest. We're not trying to be mean or offensive but the 8VR is not good enough. A 35 is nothing spectacular either at Harvard, it's average. A 35 MCAT and 3.98 cGPA is pretty much the average applicant - you'll need to make sure you have some solid ECs. I'd give it a try you never know but don't be suprised if you don't an interview because the VR is too low.

For your ECs - you need to be extraordinary and I'd say leadership in something would be important. Standard involvement isn't good enough.

A 35 is the AVERAGE accepted applicant, I don't mean to be rude, but a 35 is NOT the average applicant. Check MSAR to see the accepted 12-11-12 split. and a 3.98 Is above average for even an ACCEPTED student, however your institution reputation is not there to back you, but that isn't where you suffer.

Your 8 VR is the problem. It's not a balanced score, so that will definitely hurt you. It also depends on whether it's your first time or not.

How are your ECs? good ECs for harvard are not "I participated in x,y,z" they are "I started a mentorship group in my community". You need to show that you are an 'agent of change', you are someone that has original ideas to bring to the world. Participating in a lot of things isn't impressive at all.

This is the best advice that I can relay from reliable sources. I think you should apply regardless, i believe that you should take that chance. I wouldn't say you have NO CHANCE. I don't know which poster told you that, but it is definitely a little harsh, even with a "no offense" tagged at the end.

You need to realize we are all pessimistic here (including me). We tend to underestimate how competitive we truly are, and while it works to our advantage in that it prepares us for the worst (see a user named bobo being scared about international status, applying to 30+ schools, and now loaded with interview invites), but it can be dangerous to impart advice that we perceive through our own eyes onto others. It is best to communicate the facts and let everyone make a decision as they see fit.

This is the best advice that I can relay from reliable sources. I think you should apply regardless, i believe that you should take that chance. I wouldn't say you have NO CHANCE. I don't know which poster told you that, but it is definitely a little harsh, even with a "no offense" tagged at the end.

Looking back on it, that was kinda harsh. Sorry for being an ass. Guess I was having a rough day. :o

Archived