Premed 101 Forums

Taking courses in January (vs. Sept)

Hi,

So I've decided to spend 2 years (or 1.5 years) finishing a full-time undergrad degree. Thanks to all those who helped me out.

Im planning on starting the undergrad degree in January (and not this past September) and will be taking a full course load (5 half courses). I plan to continue full-time through May to Aug (09), Sept to Dec (09), and Jan to April (10) at least.

How will the Jan to April semester be calculated for Med schools? Am I disadvantaged by starting in January versus starting in September?

Do you think I should delay until Sept. 2009 to start full-time - I don't want to 'waste' the Jan to April semester as I'd like it to count for the gpa calculation (recall my pretty bad undergraduate years).

Thanks in advance.

NC

I think the only problem you'll have is some schools calculate full-time studies from September - April, so if you're not going to school right now that might hinder your chances at one or two schools.

If you are going to school right now, or if you have already finished 3 years of full-time studies, then you'll be fine.

How many courses will you be taking in Jan? If you were to take 6 half courses, this year would count as full time for Queen's, since they only require 3.0 courses per year in order to be eligible for the 2-year GPA.

Western requires 5.0 courses between Sept and Apr, so this year won't count for there. However, because you can apply to Western with only one year of full time completed, you would be able to apply to both schools at the same time if you take 6 courses next semester.

Elaine

However, because you can apply to Western with only one year of full time completed, you would be able to apply to both schools at the same time if you take 6 courses next semester.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

My understanding is that for 2nd undergrad, we can only apply if it is completed or during last year. So OP would need at least 2 years full-time (disregarding any year from previous undergrad).

What if you want to stop after doing 1 year of a 2 year second degree program. How does this work. I'm doing the 1st year of a second degree, and don't really need to (or want to) do the second year. Will this cause me any problems in the future. I do have one undergrad degree completed, so I don't really see it causing me any problems (except at Western). I just started the second degree because I know most schools don't really like it if you take random non-degree courses to boost the gpa.

Hi Elaine,

My understanding is that for 2nd undergrad, we can only apply if it is completed or during last year. So OP would need at least 2 years full-time (disregarding any year from previous undergrad).

Hi Andy,

You are correct. I assumed that because of transfer credits, the OP was planning on finishing his new degree by the end of his planned time in the second degree program. He would need to do that in order to apply to Western, applying during the last year of that plan.

For Queen's, the OP wouldn't have to finish the degree, but have completed two academic years (Sept to Apr - summer courses wouldn't count) with a minimum of 3.0 courses per year in order to apply. Both of these years would have to be completed prior to applying to Queen's.

I may have misinterpreted, but here's what I thought would work to ensure that the OP could apply to both Queen's and Western at the same time:

- Jan-Apr 2009: 3.0 courses (would ensure this year counted for Queen's)

- May-Aug 2009: full time (GPA wouldn't count, but course #s would)

- Sept 2009-Apr 2010: 5.0 courses (this year would count for both Queen's and Western)

- Sept 2010-Apr 2011: 5.0 courses, completing degree program (this year would count for only Western, presuming the OP got into med school for Sept 2011)

- Eligible to apply to both Queen's and Western for Sept 2011

Hope that clarifies. (I really shouldn't post when I'm half asleep....)

Elaine

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Andy,

You are correct. I assumed that because of transfer credits, the OP was planning on finishing his new degree by the end of his planned time in the second degree program. He would need to do that in order to apply to Western, applying during the last year of that plan.

Elaine

Just a point of clarification - for Western, it must be an Honours degree - right? (and not necessarily Honours degree for Queen's?)

NC

Just a point of clarification - for Western, it must be an Honours degree - right? (and not necessarily Honours degree for Queen's?)

NC

You are correct NC. Western requires an honours (or equivalent) degree. Queen's doesn't require a degree at all, just 15.0 credits toward a degree.

Elaine

Archived