Premed 101 Forums

Viewing letters of reference

0nsp

I've had varying responses to thihs question, so I thought that someone on here might know. I was just wondering if, once your referee has mailed the letter to CaRMS, it is possible to view the scanned letter? Is it a good idea to view the letters so you have an idea on which ones are better? How does the school know if you've seen it? Would it carry less weight if you have seen it, and if so, how much less?

Thanks!

does anybody know if we can get reference letters translated?

I am at a french school and plan on applying in english provinces for residency.. i know many people are worried about having references written in french.

i know that we can pay to have the deans letter translated but references are a little trickier since they are supposed to be confidential.

Does your school not offer a translation service?

Here at Ottawa they will translate LORs for us. If your school doesn`t have a service, then I guess you just have to find one externally because you cannot view your LOR.

Yes but is there a way to get the LOR to the translation service and then to CArMS without the student seeing it?

Hmm...I think you need to have your referees send a copy of the letter to the school directly for translation and then they send it to carms (give everyone addressed stamped envelopes!).

I would double check with your school though.

That is terrible you have to pay to have your Dean's letter translated.

I would also ask your referees if they are comfortable writing the letter in English...you never know, and it could be better than having to pay for translation and hoping the person translates properly.

Hmm...I think you need to have your referees send a copy of the letter to the school directly for translation and then they send it to carms (give everyone addressed stamped envelopes!).

I would double check with your school though.

That is terrible you have to pay to have your Dean's letter translated.

I would also ask your referees if they are comfortable writing the letter in English...you never know, and it could be better than having to pay for translation and hoping the person translates properly.

I would much rather pay to have them translated than have them written in broken english. It sucks that they wont do it for free, but dont forget, Ottawa is billingual. In Quebec (outside of montreal) most people think that speaking english is some kind of sin... so i doubt they offer a translation service.

Anyway, I am a couple of years away... I will speak to some of the people who are in senior clerkship and go from there.

Archived