Premed 101 Forums

American schools

nat1988

Hey guys,

Just wondering, do the American schools have preferences for local citizens (similar to Canadian schools). Is it more difficult applying to American schools than it is to Canadian schools, or the same?

I heard that private American schools have no preferences whatsoever - they'll take whoever is competitive and can afford the ridiculous fees. Is there any truth to this?

What are some American schools that Canadians have tradionally applied to? Which schools do Canadians have considerable chances of being accepted?

I ask because I'm a Quebec citizen with poor French speaking skills, leaving me with only one school in my province (McGill) to apply to . Thanks for the help!

Hey guys,

Just wondering, do the American schools have preferences for local citizens (similar to Canadian schools). Is it more difficult applying to American schools than it is to Canadian schools, or the same?

As an international citizen, it's harder for you than for an American. State schools (like University of Connecticut, University of Alabama, etc) have a preference for their own residents, so you get the IS vs OOS distinction same as we do with IP vs OOP in CAnada. The whole application process is a bit more work, since even though there's a centralized app system (AMCAS), pretty much every school requires an individual secondary application, which may include as many as 6 essays. It's also pricy. It cost me about $5000 to apply to US and 4 CDN schools last year, including interview travel.

I heard that private American schools have no preferences whatsoever - they'll take whoever is competitive and can afford the ridiculous fees. Is there any truth to this?

Yup, they don't have preference for residents of their own state.

What are some American schools that Canadians have tradionally applied to? Which schools do Canadians have considerable chances of being accepted?

You can find that information in the "Applying to American Schools" forum at the bottom of the forums' main page.

Archived