Premed 101 Forums

Sigh...it looks like I won't get in this year, what to do? Any feedback helpful =)

Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting here in a long time. So I have a dilemma with my situation. I just wanted to know what your thoughts are and what do you guys think about my situation? I am an Ontario resident, 23 years old. Ottawa was my last hope of getting in, but someone said their WGPA cutoff this year is 3.88 :(

So, I first started my undergrad at U of T doing Nutritional Sci and Human Bio, and here is how I did there:

Year 1 - 3.31 (with 10 credits)

Year 2 - 3.29 (with 8 credits)

In the middle of second year, I realized that I hated U of T and was not enjoying my labs/classes/profs, so I decided to transfer to York to study Psychology (after doing some amazing research with a psychology prof at U of T, who really inspired me to take a more holisitic look on health and other aspects of it such as psychological and environmental influences). So here is how I did there:

Year 3 - 3.94 (with 10 credits)

Year 4 - 3.94 (with 10 credits)

Year 5 - I am expecting anywhere between a 3.85 and 4.0 (10 or 11 credits)

But here is the problem...I screwed up the MCAT, twice...

The first time I wrote it, it was pretty terrible. The month before I had to write it, my grandfather died, and throughout my second year of university, he was really sick, and...it was a pretty tough thing for me to go through, because we were really close. I ended up getting a 30Q on it....but it was in the worst way possible: 13P - 13V - 4B - Q

It was the old paper and pencil version, and I lost focus at the end of the test when it was going on the 12th hour. And that last month of studying for me was pretty much nil.

So I wrote it again this summer, and I bombed it again...this time I got: 8P - 8V - 10B - P

I was really dissapointed, because I was doing really well on practice tests and I felt really confident after leaving the exam. I even took a Kaplan course for this.

So now, I am in a dilemma. I cannot get accepted to any medical schools in Ontario or OOP because of my dismal MCAT scores and my poor first 2 years of University.

--------------------

The thing is, I really want to become a doctor, and I have always wanted to. But my question is what should I do next year? I guess my main concern is that I want to get married, soon. My girlfriend/fiance and I have been dating for over 4 years, and she is already in graduate school ready to become an allied health professional and is about to enter the workforce. But I feel that pressure to get married soon, because we aren't getting younger, and I would really like to start our lives together (because neither of our home lives are very great) and hopefully have kids sometime soon after I finish medical school.

So with that in mind, I was thinking of doing one of these:

1. Get my M.H.Sc. at the University of Toronto and become a Speech-Language Pathologist

This was a field I thought I was passionate about, but then I realized that, I really want to become a doctor because I can help such a greater scope of patients as a doctor as opposed to an SLP. I have the GPA (~3.94 in last 2 years) to get in (with substantial scholarship money), but I'm worried about not doing well in the program and just settling for this career. I know I can apply to medicine again after graduation, but, again, I'm just afraid of failiing and not doing well. It is a 2 year program, but IIRC, medical schools will not admit me while I'm doing a Masters program, correct? So I wouldn't even be able to apply while I'm doing my masters program here.

2. Go to college (hoping for Centenniel) and become a paramedic

This is something that interested me in high school, but, again, its 2 more years. I don't think I would have a problem getting in, and I am in really good shape (I work out with weights, have quite a bit of muscle mass, and do 35 minutes of cardio 5 times a week). My concern with this is that it is not what I want to do.

3. Get a job for a year

This is what I am leaning towards. I am really afraid of being in debt, so, getting a year to earn money would hopefully be good for me. However, I think it may be a problem for me, because how can I get a job with a Honours B.Sc. in Psychology? I was hoping to get a job as a full-time research assistant or at this school I work at as an educational assistant. On top of that, I can still continue my part-time jobs, and hopefully earn about $25 000 - 35 000 to prepare me for (hopefully) medical school the following year.

4. Travel and work/volunteer abroad

I know there are a lot of opportunities to travel abroad as a graduate and to do things like teach English in another country, or to work at underserviced hospitals in places around Asia and Africa. I would love to do this, but, I am not in the best financial situation. But I know medical schools like to see this in candidates (which I hope is not true, because doesn't that disadvantage the working class who can't afford these things?). Ideally, I would do this, but, I do not have the financial resources available to me to do this (need to save up for marriage!)

----------------------------------

I am going to re-write the MCAT in June/July (and give myself enough backup time to be able to re-write again in August/September should my MCAT score be lower that what I need). But after that, I have no clue what I should be doing. I am doing a new approach (using EK material w/ audio osmosis, Nova physics, and also reviewing my Kaplan stuff again).

To be honest, I'm pretty scared, dissapointed in myself, and worried about getting in to medicine the following year. My GPA (in my humble opinion) is pretty good, and emailing/talking to the medical schools in Ontario/OOP, they have told me that my GPA when applying next year will be as follows:

Western - 3.94 + 3.94 (best 2 years)

Queen's - 3.94 + 3.85 (worst case scenario) for last 2 years

U of T - anywhere between 3.83 (if 1 full course year is dropped) - 3.88 (if 3 course years are dropped) (they said they'd give me a modified weighing formula)

Ottawa - (3.94) + 2(3.94) + 3(3.85) = 3.895

Calgary - 3.91 + 3.91 (although I am missing a lot of recommended courses)

Dalhousie - 3.94 + 3.94 + 3.85 (best 3 years)

McMaster - between a 3.65 and 3.7 cgpa

My ECs are pretty good (research with submission but no publication, research assistance, years of volunteering in different health settings, years of teaching swimming, managerial role at work, a provincial volunteer award, other simple extraciricular activities I do with my friends, and a research thesis), but I feel I just need the MCAT to go well and for those interviews to come along. I feel confident that if I can get an interview, I'll be able to get in (somewhere, anywhere).

And a lot of people ask me why I don't consider the US or Carribean, but, because of my relationship situation, I cannot afford to get into $500K of debt, it would not be fair to my fiance.

So, thanks for reading this looooooonnnnnng post. Any comments/suggestions?

I think I should get back to studying...thanks again guys,

Shawn

I don't understand something.

You said you've taken two majors: Nutritional Science and Human Biology.

3. Get a job for a year

This is what I am leaning towards. I am really afraid of being in debt, so, getting a year to earn money would hopefully be good for me. However, I think it may be a problem for me, because how can I get a job with a Honours B.Sc. in Psychology? I was hoping to get a job as a full-time research assistant or at this school I work at as an educational assistant. On top of that, I can still continue my part-time jobs, and hopefully earn about $25 000 - 35 000 to prepare me for (hopefully) medical school the following year.

To work as any psychologist in Ontario, you need to at least have masters.

Examples:

Masters for applied psychologist

PhD for clinical psychologist

With your marks, you would have no problem getting into masters program like occupational therapy or physiotherapy program.

Have you thought about physician assistant program?

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/physicianassistant/

You get to diagnose and treat patients.

You get to practice medicine.

The pay is very good too.

Okay, this doesn't seem like such a bad situation - just rewrite the MCAT one last time, do a bit of travelling and volunteering, and otherwise just take your time to cross all those t's and dot all those i's to get in. You're still young, and there's time - it's certainly a lot cheaper to just rewrite the test than consider other options.

Hey Shawn,

If you read this before Nov. 1 you can apply to Saskatchewan. Their cutoff for OPP's is around 90.5% and a 26 on the MCAT with no single score below 8 or n.

Coincidentally..... you just happen to have exactly a 26 with no grade below 8 or n. The application also takes only 45 minutes to fill out. If you get an interview.... then you have to follow up with reference letters, but to apply it's easy..... I bet you have a better than even chance of making it for fall of 2009.

Good Luck,

Michael

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Just a quick question. If I decide to go to U of T for SLP (a 2 year professional masters program), will I be required to finish the program before I enter medicine? Or can I drop out in the middle of the program if I get accepted next year? I know for thesis based masters they won't allow this, but what about professional ones?

Michael - Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, I am missing one pre-req (1/2 a term of biochemistry) and there is no way I can make this up, which is too bad...but thanks for the suggestion. And unfortunately, although my GPA for my last couple years are fairly high, I think my U of T average will bring that down signifcantly below 90% =/

mrhumble - Thanks for the suggestions, and I wouldn't mind going into those programs, but again, it is just the scope of patients I would be able to attend to that makes me want to get into medicine as opposed to OT/PT/PA. I really want that ability to help a wide range of patients (both in Toronto and hopefully around Canada/the world sometime in the future). So, unless I can leave midway through my masters in OT/PT/SLP, I think mrgreek and A-Stark are right, I should just work and gain more experience.

And my first degree I was doing a double major towards an honours bachelors. In my current degree, it is not a professional degree, just a honours bachelors of science specializing in psychology.

Any more suggestions? Did anyone else take a year or two off to work? If so, what did you guys end up doing? Ideally I would like to get paid (somewhat well) for it (so I can pay off my debt and start saving up for medical school).

I was thinking of becoming an integration worker or educational assistant at a special needs school for the year.

Hopefully I will also be able to volunteer at more places than before. My volunteer experience includes an ER, special needs classrooms (with therapists and teachers), and as a PTA working with elders who just had knee/hip surgeries. I really want to try working at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter or food bank where I can work with the disadvantaged in my community.

Also, was/is anyone worried about getting married while in medical school? I feel like this is what will end up happening with me, and I'm kind of afraid of being in a lot of debt.

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys, as you can tell I'm kind of neurotic. I've just never been so passionate about helping people out in my life, and I figure there is no better way to do it than by becoming a family doctor/pediatrician :)

Also, was/is anyone worried about getting married while in medical school? I feel like this is what will end up happening with me, and I'm kind of afraid of being in a lot of debt.

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys, as you can tell I'm kind of neurotic. I've just never been so passionate about helping people out in my life, and I figure there is no better way to do it than by becoming a family doctor/pediatrician :)

You can also help people by becoming a radiation therapist, respiratory therapist, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, denturist, speech pathologist, and so on.

Health care professionals work as a team. Physicians cannot do everything.

But I understand your desire to become a physician. I can somewhat relate to what you are going through.

I'm doing my second degree and still pursuing medicine.

If you decide to take the job route while applying for medical school, I hope that you'll get a good paying job.

I couldn't really find anything worthy after graduating from University of Toronto with Honours Bachelor of Science degree.

I remember about being very stressed out because I wanted to propose to my girlfriend, but I had no money and no job.

Some people say that love is all you need, but realistically, it isn't going to very pretty if there is no financial security.

We're still together, and she's supporting my decision to continue with my second degree to 1) guaranteed to get a job 2) another chance to apply to medical school. I still don't feel very good about it though.

I guess there really isn't a choice for me. I need a job, and hbsc from University of Toronto isn't cutting it.

Hey Shawn,

U of S changed their requirements in May of 2008. Under the new requirements the pre-requisites are only recommended if you have a 28n MCAT... not required. The other thing is that they are only looking at your best 2 years of undergraduate, or if it's better your best two years of undergraduate averaged with your graduate cumulative average.

Seriously there is still time if you want to make the application. They are also expanding the program, so the 90.5% average may go down this year too.

It's up to you, but I think in your position you have a great shot.

Good Luck,

Michael

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone,

mrhumble - I know how you feel!

I want to propose to my girlfriend as well, but she has been great, and we've been talking about it, and she supports me wanting to pursue medicine.

I'm in the same situation, as I will have an H.B.Sc., and that probably won't get me a job, but I do work at a school where they are always hiring educational assistants. The pay is pretty good ($24/hour + 4% vacation pay, 31.25 hours/week for 10 months), plus I have a job where I can work at night for a couple days (so that's another 10 hours/week at $13/hour + 4% vacation pay).

So ideally, I would propose to my girlfriend (hopefully soon), get married when I'm in my 2nd year of medical school. But yea, my gf is great, she said she doesn't mind being breadwinner for a few years until I get established.

Michael - Thanks so much for that information! I just sent in my application, hopefully all goes well. I believe my best 2 year average is approximately 92%, so, hopefully that can get me an interview! Their website says that transcripts and MCAT scores will be accepted after November 1, so hopefully they do not take too long to get to Sask. It would be nice going to Saskatchewan actually, one of my friends is at law school there, and one of my best friends used to live there for a while, so, it would be a nice change of scenary =)

Thanks again everyone, starting to feel a bit better about my situation. Halcyon - I guess I am young, just that the whole marriage aspect of my life is what is discouraging me. Thanks again for all the help and motivating words everyone.

BTW, if I don't get in, anyone have a good job they can hook me up with for next year? :)

Shann,

I'm going to sound cliche for a moment, but if she's the right one for you it shouldn't matter if you get married now or in a few years. What my matters is you've found each other, are totally in love with each other and whatever else is important to you. You could always wait till after med school, since then you'll have the money to have a completely decked-out wedding haha!

Good luck!

H

A note on the marriage thing....

I know the feeling.... I was always in favor of waiting until I was self-sufficient before getting married.

Then at my sister's wedding we saw the entire family together... and decided I needed to change my way of thinking. If I had the money I would get married now and probably won't wait that long regardless as both my girlfriend and I have grandparents that may not be around in 5 years.....

While she's a newly graduated teacher... the London school board is the most obscene thing in the world to try to start off with a job in....

However, I would rather have a wedding with the entire family and then be on OSAP and help from my parents rather than wait too long and not have everyone around to enjoy the day. Given that we've been together for years and we're already living together marriage is more or less a formality, so I don't know why I was so set on being self sufficient even.

We compare ourselves to our parents, who weren't needing to take 6-10 years of school to get an appreciable job in many fields as we are subject to today. So it's a different playing field and provides some unreasonable comparisons. Lol, or at least hypothesis I came up with.

In the end, both medicine and marriage are important to me as I'm sure they are with you.... If you have the support which is sounds like you do take the time now rather than suffer for a hasty decision in the future, but ultimately do what will make you happy in both your relationship and your personal life.

Best of luck...

Thanks guys,

I feel a lot better about my situation. I think my only shot right now is Saskatchewan (with my 90.3 or 92.3 percent average, but I have to ask them which it is).

Otherwise, hopefully the following year will be my lucky year.

Halcyon - Thanks, I know. I just need to get outta my house, and my gf has to get outta hers...just can't wait for that day to come, hehe.

supafield - I know what you mean. I was really close to my grandpa, but he died last year, and my grandma is 87 right now. She helped raise me since I was born, so I'd really like her to see me get married, so the sooner, the better. Hopefully, OSAP and several loans will help this come true, hehe, then I'll pay it back when I start earning some money.

Archived