Premed 101 Forums

Good interview-skills books to read?

~me~

Hello :)

I was wondering if anyone had a list of good books to read to do well on med school interviews? Books that talk about interview technique, or the dos and donts, etc.

I ask because I do not have much experience wrt being interviewed, and any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you!

ps. Or if you could point me to a thread if a similar question has been asked in the past - that would be great too! I tried finding a similar question, but was unable to :(

Check out your school's career resource centre or the public library. I don't have the names of titles of books offhand, but there are many good reads out there - they don't have to be specific to medicine to be helpful (although the medicine-oriented ones will have more examples of medical-specific questions). The internet is also a good source of interview preparation advice. Practice is key - try going over potential questions with a career advisor/friend/family member and taping the session to see how you come across.

Hello :)

I was wondering if anyone had a list of good books to read to do well on med school interviews? Books that talk about interview technique, or the dos and donts, etc.

I ask because I do not have much experience wrt being interviewed, and any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you!

ps. Or if you could point me to a thread if a similar question has been asked in the past - that would be great too! I tried finding a similar question, but was unable to :(

I found The Medical School Interview: Secrets and a System for Success really useful. There are no great "secrets", but it is a great condensed resource and I highly recommend it! It was written by a MD/MBA and it approaches the med school interview from a business perspective. This book is actually still on my bookshelf as I can see myself looking over it again pre-CaRMS in a few years. Most of the stuff in this book is common sense. But it was a great refresher. I also read Doing Right for the ethics. This has been the the med school ethics gold standard book for years. Most universities should have this book. Western has it in the stacks at Taylor library. That copy is the one I used. However the CMAJ also covers the same stuff through its ethics series. The only difference is the CMAJ is free. You can hunt it down via pubmed or look through the CMAJ online archives. :)

However, it is worth mentioning that these books are useless without actual practice. Try to find a medical student, the more senior the better. Try to do a mock interview with them or pick their brain for input. Also you can spend months reading books and doing mock interviews but it would be pointless if you did not dedicate just as much time to some soul searching. Fully understand why you did what you did and what you learned over the last several years. Also know what you want the adcom to know and highlight this stuff if you can.

At the end of the day you really are marketing yourself to the school. Having your basic approach to the interview organized in your head will make the marketing part of the experience way easier! Chances are you will be more relaxed and comfortable too!

Good luck!

The Medical School Interview: Secrets and a System for Success

There are no secrets, but it a great condensed resource and I highly recommend it! I read this book plus Doing Right for the ethics. I got into a few med schools so these books definitely didn't mislead me. ;)

However, note that the books are useless without actual practice and deep soul searching etc.

+1. That book helped me get in--didn't end up using a lot of the info, but it helped me organize my thoughts to prep for the interview. Good luck people

Its funny I think its helped me so far as well. Ive read it over many times that my answers during my real interviews now might as well be used as "examples" for the "strong" answers in this book, as compared to my answers last year when they were sounding more like the "weak" answers.

Interviews make me feel so filthy, like a salesman making a pitch to sell a product. Bah.

Archived