Premed 101 Forums

Radiology: Competitiveness & "Prerequisites"

Hello,

I have a few questions about radiology residency for anyone interested in replying! I've just started my first year of med at McGill, and have begun to be quite interested by the field or radiology. Even though we're only a few months into the program, there's already been quite a wealth of information for those interested in other specialties, but I'm finding info on radiology a bit more difficult to come by. For one, there don't appear to be any 'interest groups' for rads, like there are for a lot of other specialties at McGill (family, emergency, to name a few). Also, we've had guest speakers in virtually all other specialties except for radiology -- for whatever reason that may be. And whenever I ask a classmate about what they know, perhaps not surprisingly, I get conflicting information. Anyhow, my questions are:

**EDIT** Found Kirsteen's great Q & A post, which answered most of my questions. I only really have one left --

(1) How competitive is radiology today? I've looked through the CaRMS numbers, but they're a little hard to decipher.

Thanks in advance for your help!

http://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_R1stat_2007_e.shtml

In 2007, 69% of people who ranked a radiology program as their top choice matched to a program anywhere in the country. (People who did not receive any radiology interviews likely would not rank it as their top choice, but let's assume this would be a rare scenario.) Going back to the same statistics, 50% of people who ranked a radiology program ended up matching to that particular location. If you look through the CaRMS statistics in previous years, you can see that competitiveness varies from year to year. Have you considered starting an interest group at your school since there isn't currently one?

Hi there,

I do agree that competiveness of each program changes year by year and school by school.. I also agree that for the people who are interested in radiology, usually there is not much info early on the program. But do not get disappointed. The best thing for you at this stage is to do summer research in the field and explore the program for a good period of time. Radiology is one of those type of program that you either going to hate or love it.. Although some people may find it ok but would not consider it for the residency. And I think if you really want a program and you have your mind to it, you will get in,,, so focus on what you like more than what is less competitive, although it is important to be updated on the statistics.

Good luck

Sara KJ

Meds 2010 Ottawa U

pre-requisite - same as every other competitive specialty

doing well in school - hopefully getting honors and/or scholarships

research projects, hopefully with publications

electives in rad

getting good evals and references letters from clerkship

making connection with a interviewing or senior faculty members who have influence in resident selection

from what I've seen, most people who start preparing early enough will match somewhere - the earlier you start, the more likely you'll match

http://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_R1stat_2007_e.shtml

In 2007, 69% of people who ranked a radiology program as their top choice matched to a program anywhere in the country. (People who did not receive any radiology interviews likely would not rank it as their top choice, but let's assume this would be a rare scenario.) Going back to the same statistics, 50% of people who ranked a radiology program ended up matching to that particular location. If you look through the CaRMS statistics in previous years, you can see that competitiveness varies from year to year. Have you considered starting an interest group at your school since there isn't currently one?

Wonderful, thank you -- I don't know how I'd not seen that table!

(1) How competitive is radiology today? I've looked through the CaRMS numbers, but they're a little hard to decipher

Hi there,

Although the competitiveness of many specialties waxes and wanes from year to year, Radiology is one of those specialties that manages to sustain a hearty level of competition in CaRMS (akin to Plastics, ENT and Ophtho). Heed the advice posted earlier in this thread and I'd add that you should also persevere. Radiologists can sometimes be tough to connect to with respect to completing research projects and electives can sometimes be hard to come by (some centres are booking Rads electives a year in advance). As an example, during my first year of med school, I was interested in Rads and tried to arrange a summer elective at my own school. I didn't receive a response from any of the Rads staff who I contacted. Discouraged, I decided to try a Cardiology elective instead and almost turned my back on Rads as a career entirely, which thankfully didn't eventually happen (but was a bit trying to get a foothold late in the game). The moral of the story: do explore the specialty before writing it off.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 month later...

Archived