Premed 101 Forums

becoming a peditric and need help!

rani_wish

hi

this is my last smester in health sciences a program that u have to take in CGEp quebec if you wan to do medicine. i want to become a pediatrician everytime i try asking someone what i have to do which school or programs i can apply they go like what the hell she does not know...now i found this forum to communicate with other ppl who can share their knowledge if so what to do ....cuz i am reallly lost........plzz post you knowlege also waht university or med school would be hosting the pediatric program!

thank-you

I don't know if I understand your question or not, but I'll try :

To become a pediatrician, you must first get your MD diploma. This means you can apply to any medical school, for their 4 yr medicine program. In your fourth year, you will apply to CARMS, the Canadian Residency Matching Service. That's where you choose your specialty. CARMS is a matching system, meaning that they will try to match you to a residency program based on your preferences as well as the people offering the residency spots' preferences. If you do match to pediatrics, you will do your residency (4-5 years of further training) and then will be able to call yourself a pediatrician!

You can check the site for CARMS for more details on the residency programs offered by each school (http://www.carms.ca), but really I'd focus on getting into med school first.

I'm not sure if it will help to answer you in French. I apologize if not:

Puisque vous êtes (je présume) une résidente du Québec, vous avez sans doute de plus grandes chances à entrer en médecine si vous faites application aux écoles québecoises (Sherbrooke, Montréal, Laval). Je crois que ces écoles donnent priorité aux étudiants qui viennent du Québec.

Comme l'autre fille a dit, après avoir reçu votre M.D., vous pourriez essayer d'entrer en pédiatrie (via Carms) à n'importe quelle école au Canada.

Archived