Premed 101 Forums

Question About Dual Citizenship

amark

Hi everyone!

I'm currently in 12th grade and I live in Point Roberts, Washington, a small town near the US-Canada border. However, I go to a private school across the border in Tsawassen, BC. I am a dual citizen (US + Canada) and I am currently investigating universities that I would like to attend. I have a home in both British Columbia and Washington and I live half of the year in each.

What I want to know is if I attend a Canadian school like UBC for my undergrad will I be counted as an international applicant or a US applicant when I apply to US medical schools? Will I be able to apply to schools that do not take international applicants? Also, will I still be considered in-state for Washington school's since I have an address there?

Thank You

it is my understanding that you would be a citizen of both since each application would ask are you a ___ citizen not of what citizenship are you. so for UBC they ask are you canadian and AMCAS asked if you were US and only if you click no do they ask.

i would think you are in an ideal position because you qualify for both and what is also nice is that you have residency in washington state where their school heavily favours residents, and it's a good school!

BUT things can change so at this point just stay alert

can someone confirm this?

As a dual citizen myself (never lived in the US), I can tell you that the benefits are insurmountable for just having a SSN/birth certificate. You will be eligable for financial aid at US schools and also be considered Canadian when applying to Canadian schools

However, in terms of McGill (if your interested), you will be considered a canadian (OOP) and not an American. I had wanted to apply as a US citizen there (since they have more US students than OOP canadians), but no luck with that.

End of the day, you're in great position in applying to Medical School in the US and Canada

From what I read on SDN (the US pre-med forum),

the in-state resident status is determined differently in different states.

So you might want to look up how UofWashington defines in-state students.

Generally, if you went to high school there and if your parents still live there, you should have no difficulty proving residency.

You might also want to look into how UBC defines BC resident.

They have strict criteria for determining BC resident.

For me, I went to high school in BC (for two years) and graduated there, I'm have a BC driver's license, my parents live there,

but still UBC doesn't consider me as an in-province student because I don't meet their requirements.

Your questions are really specific, so not too many people on this forum will have clear-cut answers to those.

You might want to look into them yourself.

However, in terms of McGill (if your interested), you will be considered a canadian (OOP) and not an American. I had wanted to apply as a US citizen there (since they have more US students than OOP canadians), but no luck with that.

I believe that this is no longer the case. Not 100% sure though.

As a dual citizen myself (never lived in the US), I can tell you that the benefits are insurmountable for just having a SSN/birth certificate. You will be eligable for financial aid at US schools and also be considered Canadian when applying to Canadian schools

End of the day, you're in great position in applying to Medical School in the US and Canada

+1+1+1+1+1. Financial aid is huge. I am practically waiting for a decision from a school i will probably decline even if I get accepted because I just don't think I can afford it. having that dual citizenship will help make your Plan b US schools a much easier alternative to your plan a.

Archived