Premed 101 Forums

applications to how many programs at a time

explorer

If you're asking about applying to multiple PROGRAMS within the same specialty, yes, this will enhance your chances of matching somewhere! The warning here is to only apply to places where you can realistically see yourself going. If you rank 14 programs, you just might match to your 14th choice. Would you be happy there? When deciding which programs to rank, I asked myself, "Would I rather do family medicine than end up in program X?" I ended up ranking all of the IM programs in Canada, since I would rather end up at any of them than do family med :)

Uh... you'd rather be in purgatory than family med??

Hmmm... I don't know exactly what you are asking.

If you're asking about applying to multiple SPECIALTIES... well, this could be a problem, since the programs might sense that you are applying to other specialties when they go through your file. You might have a lower chance of matching if they feel you are not 100% dedicated to their specialty or that you are using them as a backup. If you plan to apply to more than one specialty, you need to be able to explain things that might appear on your resume (ie. why someone applying to gen surg has all urology electives and research).

If you're asking about applying to multiple PROGRAMS within the same specialty, yes, this will enhance your chances of matching somewhere! The warning here is to only apply to places where you can realistically see yourself going. If you rank 14 programs, you just might match to your 14th choice. Would you be happy there? When deciding which programs to rank, I asked myself, "Would I rather do family medicine than end up in program X?" I ended up ranking all of the IM programs in Canada, since I would rather end up at any of them than do family med :)

thanks for the detailed reply.So what I gather is that its wise to apply to many prog within the same speciality.Does it depend on experience in that particular area as well or just the post graduation?

Do programs have a way of knowing which other specialties an applicant applied for through carms directly?

I applied for FM and OBGYN....

Thanks!

No they don't. But may make inferences based on your elective choices.

I don`t know if you have run into this. But I also applied to 2 specialties and if I am granted interviews at all the places I applied to, then I will end up with days with interviews at 2 different places. I am not sure how to approach this, since asking one to change dates...tells them 1) that I am applying to a different specialty, since I don`t think this happens if you are just applying to one and 2) that I am showing preference to the other program since I am not asking this other program to change dates. :confused: Carms is so frustrating.

Hi Satsuma, it is still possible to have conflicts even if you are only applying to one specialty - for example, if Programs A and B offer interviews on the 1st and the 2nd, and they both offer you an interview on the 1st. But I found that I received interview invites one at a time, so that I scheduled them as I went along, and also that programs would sometimes offer a choice of dates. Sometimes I was assigned an interview day that I had already booked - in this case I told them when I got the email, and they were able to squeeze me in on their other day, so I never had to change an already scheduled date. Otherwise, if it is a lower priority interview, and your schedule is already looking pretty full (interviews can be quite mentally tiring and it's good to have some time to decompress), you can choose to decline, especially if you would be asking for a special interview day (versus switching to another of their scheduled days).

Last year, I had an interview in Vancouver and one in Qc City I think, on the same day, and I already had made my travel plans...just called the PD in Qc to reschedule, I think programs know you may interview at different places, unfortunately, on the same dates, the problem was that it was in the same specialty!

Some specialties, well at least pathology, was VERY flexible as far as the dates for interview...

If they want to interview you, it means they are interested in hearing your story, so I think they will accomodate you the best they can...

noncestvrai

Archived