Premed 101 Forums

heheheh

Hello ALL!

I've been reading up on these lovely threads and please point me in the right direction if somebody has posted (and gotten answers) on this subject previously.

Here's the q:

What do you think of extending an undergrad to 6 or 7 total years to raise GPA?

I'm currently sitting at a 2.76 and have 3.5 years behind me. I figure if I do 2 to 3 more solids I`ll have a 3.5 cGPA to `brag`about with term GPAs of 4.3. Putting the fact that a full course load with those kinds of grades is really unrealistic to expect from someone who's GPA is **** aside...what do you think an admissions comity will say?

I emailed admissions at the school I want to go to and they were very vague giving me a very scripted answer: we take your last 2 years or best 3 out 4 years into account if you've graduated.

They say out of 4. Is there something wrong with taking extra time? I'll just explain that I am taking so long to complete my undergrad because I switched programs and didn't take full course loads in the first few years. Also, I ****ed around not gonna deny that. Whoever thought sending an undecided to Univeristy had it coming to them (my parents).

Anyway. Should I just cut my losses and graduate already? should I take a new degree or should I just go to AUC, SABA etc. to just get going with my life?

If not I'm gonna go join the circus. Good Day.

Oh, P.S: I should mention that I am only 78 'credit hours' into this degree. That's basically a little more than halfway done for you folks who don't know anything about credit hours.

****A lot of schools (Ontario especially) need you to take full course loads so if you take extra time by not taking 5 full credits then they will not count towards your gpa.

For Western you can only do 1 special year (5th year undergrad). So after that your wasting your time for Western.

Best thing to do is to graduate and do 2nd degree. Your GPA is too low for most schools and 7 years of undergrad I do not think will be favorable at all, probably frown upon.

As for SABA or AUC.....look into it with great detail. They shouldn’t be spur of the moment decisions.

The Dal website says that they are "delighted" to hear from non-traditional applicants. "Delighted" might be a strong word, but I visited the admissions department the last time I was in Halifax and I found the staff really helpful. They will actually sit down with you, go over your file and help you plan your course. Mind you, you have to schedule an appointment ahead of time.

I guess when you get a few hundred emails a day, you start answering in generalities after a while.

Archived