Premed 101 Forums

Bad grades in one semester due to possible depression

ma7laki

Hey all,

I am a 4th year biochemistry pre-med student attending a university in Canada. Like many, I have aspired to be a doctor for the majority of my life, so any positive advice on the matter to which I have disclosed below would be good. Words such as "give it up and find a new career goal", however truthful, will not work since my heart is set on becoming a physician. I wold really appreciate all sensitivity in this matter. Thank you.

This may seem like a cry for help, and maybe it is one. This past summer I went through a personal experience that many might call trivial, but regardless I came out of it depressed and unmotivated. Although it was suggested by non-medical personnel that I should take the semester off of university to clear my head and find myself again, I chose to work through it, believing I could do anything if I put my mind to it. My stress and depression affected my health severely, including weight loss and occasional heart palpitations (I believe I am using that correctly here). I saw a physician once regarding the heart issue, and he wrote it off as due to stress.

I continued to work through the semester, finding it very difficult to motivate myself, and became apathetic towards my school work, obtaining excellent grades in labs but terrible grades in my lecture work. Withdrawal with cause was suggested, but I disregarded it due to the fact that the reason for my apathy was a personal one. I did not realize, until after all of my grades were received, that I may have depression and this could be the cause of my lack of motivation towards school. I ended up failing two courses, and receiving a D, D+, and a C+ during this semester. I am aware that some medical schools disregard your lowest annual average if you have four or more years of post-secondary education, but the numbers are few.

I was wondering if any body has some words of advice for me. I am going to see my physician to see if I do indeed have depression to get treatment for it, and was wondering if it is possible that a letter from this physician to a med school or my current university may help, or if I should simply carry on, work through another couple of years to get my GPA up, and repeat those failed courses. Almost any advice would be helpful.

Thank you.

Maybe you can see a physician for the depression issue.

There are some medical schools that take the best 2 marks in Canada.

There are also some medical schools that will drop some credits.

Also, try to do your best for the second semester to avoid suspension or probation from school.

Good luck.

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the personal stresses in your life that affected your academic abilities. It is actually more common than you probably realize, so don't beat yourself up too much about it.

If your mental state hasn't changed much since that not-so-great semester, then I agree that you should definitely contact your doctor to see if you are currently diagnosed with depression. Having a letter from your physician documenting your depression would probably not hurt, if adcom's wonder why you did so poorly for that one semester, so it's a good idea.

The "non-medical professional" that you mentioned, were you referring to a counsellor/psychologist? If your situation hasn't gotten better, I hate to say that returning to school right after one bad term may not be the best idea. I am not saying that you should give up on your dream of pursuing medicine. What I mean is that returning to school after demonstrating that you are not capable of putting more attention to your studies might result in repeated poor academic performance again. It might be better to wait until you are feeling stronger/more focussed and are ready to go back. If you decide to go back right away be careful if you find yourself unable to handle the load, because repeating last semester's performance is not what you want.

Just thought I'd mention this, in case it might be helpful: If your poor grades were truly due to a depressive disorder, some schools will allow you to petition the senate to have your grades removed from your transcript retroactively (kind of like a retroactive withdrawal). Don't know what school you go to, so not sure if this will apply, but I know someone who went through a similar situation at my school, and not only were the grades removed from his transcript, but he also got his tuition money back. So essentially it was like he never signed up for the courses to begin with. Check it out--this might be an option.

Just thought I'd mention this, in case it might be helpful: If your poor grades were truly due to a depressive disorder, some schools will allow you to petition the senate to have your grades removed from your transcript retroactively (kind of like a retroactive withdrawal). Don't know what school you go to, so not sure if this will apply, but I know someone who went through a similar situation at my school, and not only were the grades removed from his transcript, but he also got his tuition money back. So essentially it was like he never signed up for the courses to begin with. Check it out--this might be an option.

I learned while working for student health services at Western that most institutions in Ontario have such a policy. But it is not done lightly. But upon the advice of a medical professional such retroactive action is possible. Definitely scope it out, this might be exactly what is required and is fair considering your circumstances. Depression is very much a legitimate reason for not being able to complete course work satisfactorily.

The road to med school often will have twists are turns yet with determination and patience it is always within reach.

• 9 months later...

You have already received excellent and sympathetic advice upon which you sould definitelyfollow up. For sure, you want to document your depression medically as this will assist you in both seeking to eliminate your bad year and explaining your special circumstances to med school. All of us face difficulties and detours at some point in our lives, some more serious and of longer suration than others. These experiences don't define us, rather they make us stronger and more sensitive and compassionate to others. This is all part of life and, in the long run, this experience will be looked upon by you, as another part of your life, that improved you as a human being. DEtours are part of life. This is a detour. Don't rush it, but certainly, carry on with your dream and ambition.

Archived