Premed 101 Forums

Suggestions for improving this application

bona_verba

Hi Everyone,

I've applied to a couple of American schools. Not receiving as many responses as I'd like. One interview. If I get in there, I'd be really happy. Keeping fingers crossed, but getting ready for the next application cycle as well. I'm a 3.5 with a 34Q.

Extra Currics:

- executive member of various student-run clubs, including a tutoring service

- research in industry (8+months)

- research in academia (1+years)

- 500+hrs volunteer work in various hospital departments ( a LOT of clinical exposure)

The GPA makes me not good enough to apply anywhere in Canada. And I fear that if I go to the Caribbean I'll shut off a great number of options for becoming successful as a researcher and a specialized physician

Know any top-tier or middle-tier schools that would like the likes of me?

And how would you improve my application between now and mid-June?

1) Apply to more schools and apply early.

2) Save babies in Africa.

Seriously tho aside from the GPA your app is pretty solid, just get in early and ace your interviews... I dont think you will need to go the carib route.

good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm glad my interfolio account won't expire until next November.

Africa sounds like a really exciting idea. *checks to see if any money's left over from all the applications*

Hi Everyone,

I've applied to a couple of American schools. Not receiving as many responses as I'd like. One interview. If I get in there, I'd be really happy. Keeping fingers crossed, but getting ready for the next application cycle as well.

My GPA: 3.5 (cumulative), 3.47 (BCPM)

My MCAT: 34Q. 10 PS,11 VR,13 BS

Extra Currics:

- 500+hrs volunteer work in various hospital departments ( a LOT of clinical exposure)

The GPA makes me not good enough to apply anywhere in Canada. And I fear that if I go to the Caribbean I'll shut off a great number of options for becoming successful as a researcher and a specialized physician

Next year, if I apply on the first day I can, will I really get responses?

just some thoughts..

-if you go to anywhere outside of the us and canada for med school (ie a non LCME school), you won't be considered in the CMG stream and therefore will not be able to match for the same spots which will make it significantly harder for you to match period. using UofT's rad onc program for example, in 2008, there were 24 applications from CMGs, 17 were interviewed for 4 spots. in the IMG stream, 46 applications were received, 6 were interviewed for 1 spot.

-maybe you could take a few easy courses in the meantime to bump up your GPA a bit?

-have you written thank you cards to the school where you interviewed? if not i would suggest doing that ASAP. a letter of intent might help too :)

-i hope things work out for you at the place you interviewed, but if not, i would cast a wide and EARLY net this time around. i think your chances are going to be much better at schools with rolling admissions. i can think of a handful off the top of my head, but if you want a complete list, maybe you can go on SDN or pick up the MSAR book?

-stay positive .. things will work out in the end.

Hi Everyone,

I've applied to a couple of American schools. Not receiving as many responses as I'd like. One interview. If I get in there, I'd be really happy. Keeping fingers crossed, but getting ready for the next application cycle as well.

My GPA: 3.5 (cumulative), 3.47 (BCPM)

My MCAT: 34Q. 10 PS,11 VR,13 BS

Extra Currics:

Next year, if I apply on the first day I can, will I really get responses?

How adament are you set on top tier or middle tier schools?

Wayne is a good shot, so it SUNY upstate, RFU, and the like. It wil be very tough for top tiers, and pretty tough for mid tiers, but worth a shot (a reasonable one for the latter). If you boost that GPA up though you will be golden. Also, you have something of an uphill trend so that will definitely help.

Archived